What is the best desktop screencasting application?

Osama Javaid April 2, 2012

I a using Camstudio, but I’m not satisfied with it. I receive errors and it renders poorly. Sometimes, after a long recording, only part of the recording is saved. What I want is a good functional alternative. I’m looking for software that people have personally used and enjoyed.

1. Susanna Speier

Three Options: 

1.) Camista - Start with Camista's 30 day trial because it is the most comprehensive and one of the few that actually enables you to transfer files into the Flash format required for uploading onto You Tube.  
    2.) Authorstream - Authorstream is a relatively new software that also enables you to transfer PowerPoint into slideshows without losing the transitions or sound effects. Their customer support is incredibly helpful and knowledgable.

3.) Soundslides - Great way to synch voice over with slideshows and embed in a WordPress profile. Lots of journalists I know are using it. 

2. Mihai

I've used Camstudio and I only had problems when I didn't take the time to configure it properly. If you take the time to configure the right codec and other settings such as file saving when you start it for the first time, you should be able to do just fine for any subsequent recordings. Also for me it didn't seem to work very well with its proprietary lossless codec.
    Others that I heard to be good are Snagit and Camtasia, both from same developer.

3. TechNech

Camtasia is for the win over here! 

When I required this type of functionality in the past I used Camtasia.  It was a while back, but I think it is still around.  IIRC, it is now called Camtasia Studio and I think the current version is 7.  I saw a banner ad not too long ago. This one is a commercial package but they probably have a free trial available to check it out.

5. Osama

No , I need an offline program.