Why doesn’t my desktop PC have audio?
Question by Chris /

I have no volume what so ever on my computer now.
It hasn’t been muted.
I have had it turned up to full volume.
Gone to Control Panel, Sound, clicked Sounds then under Sound Scheme put it to Windows Default, Apply and OK
Gone to Control Panel, Trouble Shooting, Hardware and Sound and clicked on Troubleshoot audio playback.
Clicked on Volume icon, Mixer and pushed all three buttons to the top.
All my computer cables are firmly in place.

I don’t know what else to try.

• Dalsan

If you happen to have cheap headphones that you might not care about, then you could plug then into the speaker port and the headphone port to see if the audio is working. You might also want to check the settings on the monitor to see if the volume on the monitor is turned up. Many monitors have separate volume controls built in and might have been turned down, even though the volume on the computer is turned up. The computer will not control the monitor speaker volume. I have had a similar problem and finally found out the monitor has a volume control itself. Click the menu button on the monitor itself and go through the menus to see if you find the volume settings.

• Sachin Kanchan

you can do one thing for sure…
    maybe the driver for the audio is missing or not properly installed…

so google the model or make of your computer… for ex.
    ~compaq presario 7540 drivers
    the first search may be of the original site of your computer
    go there and, make the selections, i mean what os do you have, 32 bit or 64 bit..etc

search down where the audio driver is and download

but remember if you have formatted your system and are installing the drivers, you may be prompted to restart the system…

DO NOT select RESTART LATER……but you must select RESTART before installing another driver…or else some drivers might not function properly

Hello, just to double check if there is something wrong with your monitor speakers, can you try a different set of speakers? If when trying different speakers, sound works, there is something wrong with your monitor’s speakers.

Have you tried the dxdiag command? You do not mention what operating system you are using. Here is how:

XP:

— click on start
    — run
    — type following:

dxdiag

— press enter
    — run the test provided there for sound and if you get any error in the Notes box, either research it or post it here

VISTA/7:

— start
    — type dxdiag in search box and press enter
    — click on sound tab
    — check under notes for any errors.

• Chris

Hi FIDELIS,

Thank you for your help. I don’t have external speakers, just what is already in the monitor.

I have just tried the dxdiag command (mine is XP) and in the notes box it came up No problems found.

Chris

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Select Your Output on the
    Playback Tab > Properties > Enhancements Tab > Enable “Loudness
    Equalization”

microsoft fix
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/no-sound-in-windows

klite codec tool yo fix windows sound
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/fix-windows-no-system-sound-and-audio-problem/

• Chris

Hi ha14,

I went through control panel but I don’t have a Hardware and Sound option.
      Clicked on your microsoft link, went through Device Manager – Sound, Video and Game controllers, Realtek High Definition Audio and it said the device is working properly.

Clicked on your other link and read some of the comments. Clciked on the link from Chandana and it came up with We did not detect and problems and therefore no fixes were applied.

1: click start > on search programs and files type devmgmt.msc press enter key
      Device manager window will open
      2: Double click Sound , Video and Game Controller
      tell me the devices under it
      3: Check any yellow exclamation or question mark under device manager. If yes right click and choose uninstall, reboot and let pc to reinstall a new driver.

if you wish you can do this even without yellow mark. to be sure have a clean driver.

• Chris

Hi again,

Just followed your directions. I double clicked Sound, Video and Game Controller and it brought up
      Intel(R) Display Audio
      Realtek High Definition Audio

There was no yellow exclamation or question marks anywhere. Clicked ob both boxes and both came up with
      This device is working properly.

1) go to run and type services.msc and click ok
      2) scroll to Windows Audio and see if its automatic, if not right click and choose properties and from there toggle to automatic and click on start then see if the status is started.
      3)reboot and check audio

did you installed Skype or similar soft that can cause the current problem?

Are you using powered speakers and are they on?

Can you see your audio device in Device Manager?

Have your audio drivers been updated recently? In some cases, updating drivers can cause the associated devices to fail to function properly.

• Chris

Hello again Bruce,

I only have the speakers that are built in to my monitor and I haven’t updated anything recently. Are you able to read my reply to ha14 ? One link I clicked on said We did not detect and problems and therefore no fixes were applied and going through the Device Manager that said The device is working properly. My computer is fairly new, i’ve only had it about 12 months.