Why did my desktop move to an external hard drive when I made a backup?

Sharon September 3, 2011

When I was backing up my files to a 500 GB external hard drive, my complete desktop moved from the computer. Now I have to keep the external drive plugged in to use my desktop. How do I get it back to my computer? I have a Sony ThinkPad. Thank you.

Hello, if you made the backup, use the same software to restore it.

2. Adriannorton

Just copy and paste from drive...

• Saw11

I have tried to copy and paste. It is showing up in the folder on my computer, but when I remove the exrernal hard drive everything disappears except the Internet Explorer short cut and the trash bin.

well you did something with MBR, you go to BIOS and change the BOOT sequence to the internal hard drive. other than this you can use the restore function of your BAckup utilities to restore the OS to internal hard drive.

• Saw11

Thanks. I am trying a system restore the the day before I moved it. Hope it works! :)

• Saw11

Yeah! Thanks all of you that answered to help me. The restore worked. Many of the folders are empty, but I can put the info back in them. Thanks again. :)

Thanks for the update, Saw!

Hi Sharon,

Do you mean your desktop folder (C:Users$USERDesktop) moved? If so, go to your external hard drive and copy the desktop folder to "C:UsersSharonDesktop". Replace "Sharon" with your username.

• Saw11

If the restore does not work, I will try this. Thanks. :)