Why did the desktop on one of my two monitors stop working properly?

terry December 27, 2011

I have 2 monitors, they used to work fine.

Then one started to show four desktop sections that are all jumbled up instead of the normal desktop. When I put the cursor in this display, only half the desktop is properly rendered and available for movement.

1. Sonny Bass

If you have an ATI graphics card you might want to try an older driver. I had been having an assortment of minor graphics troubles until i finally went several updates back to a driver from summer of 2010.If you look at ATI's forums they have had a lot of driver issues. I use a Radeon HD 5770

• Terry 50

I shall try to check that out. I am not very pc literate but can follow instructions...thanks

• Terry 50

have tried all the suggestions given me, even tried to remove graphic card and reinsert but was afraid to remove it. Guess I will have tp pay someone to fix it. thanks to you and all others. Happy new year

• Sonny Bass

What is the model # of your card? Is it an ATI?

• Sonny Bass

• Sonny Bass

• Sonny Bass

2. Sahil Dave

I guess you should reinstall your Graphics Driver WITHOUT add-ons/packages.

I had a somewhat same problem after i updated ATI driver to 11.7 (i guess) which came with a 'HydraVision' Package. After i had installed the new driver, i had 9 different squares representing 9 different desktops on my one single screen. I was bewildered because i hadn't enabled HydraVision. Eventually after a lot of troubleshooting i had to reinstall Graphics Driver WITHOUT any add-ons.

I still dont know what was the problem

• Terry 50

You know i did just instal a driver update for something which escapes me right now. but it was right after that  that my system when goofy. I have done a system restore with no luck though. thanks will let you know what I find

try MultiMon TaskBar
    http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm
    install and see if this can help you

otherwise unplug the faulty monitor and re-establish the contact again.

horizontal alignment is preferred for a standard desktop arrangement

Troubleshoot multiple monitor problems
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-multiple-monitor-problems

• Terry 50

will try this, thanks will keep you informed

Hello, you could try changing the order of the monitors.  Set your current number 2 monitor to number 1 and see if the same thing happens in the other monitor.  If same thing happens, you could check for drivers or troubleshoot your graphics card.  If same thing doesn't happen when you change the order, there might be something wrong with your monitor.  How are you controlloing the monitors?  Are you using system tools or a third party option?

• Terry 50

I am using system tools. I Had both monitors working for well over a year, turned the pc on and the  screen was messed up. It is only shoing half the desktop and what is showing is in half with the bottom on the top and the top on the bottom

Hello, have you updated your graphics card recently?  Chances are this is what is causing your issue.  It would be good if you double check the settings in your graphics card if you updated drivers.  If you have an ATI card, check under  Hydravision.  If you are using other software to control this, it would be better if you disable it.

• Terry 50

I did just update it and since have had the trouble. will check it out. I have to figure out how to check out the graphics card

Hello, you also have the possibility of rolling back the graphics card driver to previous version by using device manager.

• Terry 50

checked for updates first. I have the current upgrade. I rolled it back as suggested and no luck. Disabling says it won't function. So I am worried I will screw it up worse. lol