Why does my desktop computer says its battery is low?
Question by Rob /

My desktop computer shows my battery is low at login. Of course it has no battery. I have to hit F1 to continue, any way to stop this?

• callum

it could be the battery on the motherboard. :)

• RayInLV

This just happened to me.  

I actually took one from a broken computer and replaced the one in the functional (but very old) computer that was messaging me.  It worked just fine.   That old Box was good for something.Gave me an idea and I scavenged several other parts which will be stored in a box similar to all the screws and nails I have in a can in the Garage.  I am going to save the box for the time when I can actually build a PC from parts….Hope someone smiles about that…

The CMOS battery stores the settings in the BIOS that are adjustable. When
    the battery can’t do that job any more those adjustable settings (CMOS) fall
    back to the defaults. The default date and time are when the version of the BIOS
    included in your motherboard was written. So, changing the battery may now allow the settings to be retained

How to replace the CMOS battery

to verify if the cmos is retaining user entry data, is to modify it.
    For example, disable com port 1. Save this change in the bios setup.
    Unplug the PC for about 10 minutes or more from the AC outlet on the wall.
    Plug it back in, turn on the PC, and immediately enter the bios setup and
    verify if the change was retained.

When CMOS is going old then pc will experience Slow Programs and Hard Disk Space Problem, the computer starts alerting you to clean up your hard drive for space when you hard drive is quite free.

Have you installed any software like battery monitoring?

check the voltages coming out of the powersupply

Boy, we get some nonsense answers sometimes. 

Rob – yes, your desktop computer does actually have a little battery inside of it, called a CMOS battery, which used to keep the motherboard clock ticking. You may not notice this in Windows as modern OSes actually get their time from the internet.

It’s relatively easy to change, just open up the case and find the battery on your motherboard. It’s a CR15 type, they’re very cheap to buy and replace from any pc supply store, or maybe even a camera shop. Just be careful to unplug the power first, and dont touch anything not related. You should be able to flip out the battery with a knife or sharp screwdriver.

Hello, As you have been told already, chances are it is your CMOS battery that needs changing.  There are other things you can check too.  This warning is common on Dell computers.  Have you checked the power plan for your computer recently?  If your power plan is set to mobile instead of desktop, it could cause that warning:

For Windows XP:
    — click on start
    — Control Panel
    — select Performance and Maintenance
    — select Power options
    — under Power schemes, click on down arrow and choose Home/Office Desk.
    — click on ok and then ok

Also, can you check in your device manager if there is an entry for battery?  If there is, you could disable it.  This should only show when it is a laptop/netbook.  Yours is a desktop so it is safe to disable it.

It is very important to have a recent complete backup of your computer.  Sometimes, when installing a new CMOS battery, system will not boot up, therefore the backups would come handy.  For a picture of what battery looks like in a motherboard look at the attached picture.  To replace the battery, take the old battery out and take it with you, so that you can get an exact match.

You could get this warning if your are using  a UPS.  If a UPS(uninterruptible power supply) is being used, a battery icon will appear in your taskbar if set that way.

The following link will describe how to change the CMOS battery properly:

This is the CMOS battery which sit on the motherboard of the computer and keeps things such as the time and bios working. 

There is a guide how to replace the battery here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

If you want to do it yourself (and it’s not hard) just make sure you ‘ground’ yourself first. The easiest way to accomplish this is by touching any METAL external part of the computer case when it’s on or has the power lead connected. BE SURE TO REMOVE THE POWER LEAD BEFORE YOU OPEN THE CASE AND START DELVING INSIDE!

Does it say voltage is low ? or warning is just like a laptop?

You can check the contacts of cmos battery in your cpu, clean it. or you may need to replace it. if your pc is very old.

If the warning is similar to a laptop,
    you can go to display properties> screensaver > power > alarms unckeck alarms and apply.