Why can my Dell Inspiron connect to the network but not the Internet?

Dale Neal August 30, 2012

Every computer on the router can connect to the Internet but not my Dell Inspiron. It has been connecting for the last year, but no longer. What could it be?

1. Keven Tao

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 Media Edition. I know this problem and I have experienced it before. Try disabling your radio then enabling it again after. It works for me.

2. Erlis Dhima

Delete your current network profile: start>control panel>network and sharing center> set up a new connection or network, and create a new profile! After this delete the old one, by following the same steps, and than going to > Change adapter settings, and find the old one and delete it!
    Try to reconnect, and see if it works!

3. Mohit Khanna

You have changed or would have to change the TCP/IPv4 settings of your computer... it's under the network settings... ask your admin for those settings or just remove all the settings if those are not required..

also check for proxy network if any in your network or on your ie explorer settings...

4. Shai

I'm having the same exact problem, I can go to the hompage but i can't log into facebook or google any pictures, everytime i google dog it says results not found!! ughhh, i called Dell and they claimed that I need to update my McAfee.

5. ultimate.skywalker

sometimes this happens when you change the version of your operating system. There are certain computers/laptops which have drivers that support a specific operating system. kindly check what your operating system was when it was still working. your drivers might be compatible only to that version and not the others. so use the operating system that used to work with your internet connection.

Check whether if any driver has got uninstalled or update your drivers to newer ones.

7. Vampie C.

Check if something changed to the windows firewall. It could be blocking your way to the WWW. :-)

Did you install some updates recently?

if you have windows restore point then use it to go back to date where everything was fine with Dell and Internet;

Reset TCP/IP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Reset winsock
    1)Go to run and type cmd, right click on it and run as administrator
    2) 2)on the black box type: NETSH WINSOCK RESET and hit enter

Reset DNS
    2)on the black box type: IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS and hit enter
    3)Restart computer to see if connects to internet

• Kao Vang

Try this. It's not magic but it resets most stuff.

Complete Internet Repair
      http://datum-forensics.com/downloads/?did=4

Also check for any 3rd party firewall, those can block access to internet as well.

Lastly, perhaps someone restricted your access to the internet via the router settings..? tsk tsk.

9. Tony Batty

if you have someone with an extra modem borrow it and install it and try to see if you have a problem with your built in modem card. if you solve that problem, then your internal built in is a goner, simple as that, we have loads of that at our office, Techy have to purchase new ones and install.