Why does my Dell Inspiron 1525 charge intermittently?

Stephen Schleh August 9, 2012

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a 90W adapter. A few months ago, I noticed that it couldn’t charge but would work fine otherwise when plugged in. At startup I get a message about the adapter being unrecognized. After leaving town for a few days without the laptop, I came back and plugged it in again and found that it was charging and I didn’t get the message.

At about 50% full, I unplugged the adapter, moved to another room/outlet, plugged it again, and found that it would no longer charge. I’ve since found that I can only charge the battery if the adapter has been unplugged for about 24 hours (maybe more) before trying to plug it in again.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a problem with the adapter, the battery, the BIOS, or the power distributor?

1. tiffany kennedy

Try to move the battery and let the ac adapter plug in. If it charges the laptop intermittently, it is likely that there is something wrong with your adapter. Or you can use your adapter to work with another laptop to confirm.

Or you replace a new laptop charger.
    http://www.chargerbuy.com/intocircuit-dell-inspiron-1525-ac-adapter-65w-cord.html#.UH-1QmfiekE

2. Jackson

I am a heavy user and my 1525 is on 24 hours a day for much of the time just allowing the blank screensaver to kick in on durations of no activity. I have owned mine 3 months now and have not had any problems. The fan is actually a bit quieter than the one in my C640 that the 1525 replaces. The glossy screen issue in bright light is not one for me as I rarely need to use it in such bright enviroments. I do miss the swapping ability of the DVD drive that allowed another hard drive in it's place but minor when are so many USB options. I use old laptop hard drives as external with USB cases that let them power right off the USB port.
    Thanks for posting-
    @Jackson from laptop adapter

3. Oluaga

Trust me not the the battery, i ve had issues such as these with at least 6 of my clients, the issue is with ur adaptor the one that directly attach ur battery to ur board. U ve probaby used a much higher amp rating with ur external battery charger thus ur problem. When ur adapter get hot it wount charge u ve to wait for it to cool of or just turn of ur system. This problem is not uncommon with the inspiron model.

4. Shane

Sounds like the Adapter, the Dell ones have an extra wire running inside them that tell the Laptop that it's using the correct adapter, supplying the correct power etc.
    these have a tendency to break, (made in China)

I have also seen some dell's use a Function key to turn off charging the battery,
    Think it might be Fn + F4 but not sure.

5. Oron

I agree with Christopher, sounds like a battery problem. The adapter itself will either work or it won't, but the battery can display a range of behaviors including what you are experiencing.

6. Christopher Harlan

This definitely sounds like a battery problem to me. I've worked with computers a lot and I've ran into this problem twice. However, I did drop my Kindle Fire once and it stopped charging because the adapter piece bent.

But... It is 99% chance it's the battery.

7. dan

I had same problem with my dell XPS.For me the battery was the problem. Bought new battery now working fine