Why is my Dell desktop having audio problems?

Becky Dailey-Castellano February 16, 2012

I have a desktop Dell computer that is eight years old. I had it cleaned by a professional tech last year. I have Norton security installed. It is not used often but still works fantastic.

Suddenly the audio has become slurred and drags. I could not find the problem…so I reset it back to factory settings and started all over again. The problem disappeared for a time. It seems (I am only guessing) that as it updates itself and that is when the problem shows up.

Anyone know how to fix the problem for good?

1. Shauntelle

2002 dell desktop brandnew,but displayed for a few years. I set it up and was ablto go online. T he speakers dont have a light or sound. Also the alerks told me that there was a failure with the fan. I sucked up the little dust,it worked for a few mins and shut down again.i got nowhere troubleshooting.

Hello, as you say, it could happen when your computer gets updated.  First thing you could try is to roll back the sound driver.  I do not think your computer is  running windows 7.  For instructions on rolling back the driver in windows XP, try the following:

-- click on start key + pause/break key at same time
    -- click on hardware tab
    -- click on device manager
    -- find and expand the sound, video and game controllers by pressing the + sign
    -- right click on sound and select roll back driver
    -- click on ok

Try to check if sound is still giving you trouble.  If the above step does not work for you, you could uninstall the driver by doing the following:

-- click on hardware tab

-- click on device manager

-- right click on sound and select uninstall
    -- click on ok

Now visit the Dell site and download the sound driver for your computer.  You will need your computer model and operating system to download the right drivers for your system.

Once that is done, you could try setting windows update to notify you when there are updates.  Once you receive a notification that there are updates available for your system, make sure to check the available updates.  If there is an update for sound, make sure to uncheck it before downloading and installing the updates. You could also try the following:

-- click on start
    -- click on windows update
    -- select custom scan
    -- click on software, optional
    -- check for a sound driver, if there is an update for sound driver, expand the entry by clicking on + sign.
    -- check mark option, Don't show this update again
    -- click on hardware, optional
    -- check for an entry for sound driver, if there is an update for sound driver, expand the entry by clicking on + sign
    -- when you mark the updates this way, they will be hidden and will not be presented to you next time.

Also make sure to check any automatic updating software from DELL.  It might be updating your sound drivers automatically.

4. Karkala Nayak

Hello Becky,

First go to your Device manager,

Click on the Windows 7 Start button.Type the following command in the search box and then hit the Enter key:devmgmt.msccheck the attached picture. If you find anything yellow error in your sound, video and game controller. Then there is a issueDownload the latest drivers for you computerYou can go here to this link and follow instruction there and download your sound driver for your computerhttp://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection