How do I keep deleted emails from coming back on my iPhone 4S?

Mike Margolies August 18, 2012

It doesn’t happen to every email, just some of them. It only happens with the emails that stem from my own email account. It is a pop account via GoDaddy. I have another pop email account that when those emails are deleted stay deleted. Apple says it is GoDaddy. GoDaddy says I should switch to IMAP. Ideas?

1. Mike Margolies

Thanks for everyone's help. It appears that the only real answer is switching to some other form of email. Not the solution I was looking for, but a solution none the less.

• Arrow Quiver

Here's a solution-ish/workaround.

Overview:
      1. Create a GMail account (if you already haven't got one).
      2. Import your GoDaddy POP mail
      2.1 via GMail Settings>Accounts and Import, then setup "Check mail from other accounts (using POP3):"
      2.2 You can choose whether or not to permanently delete your POP copy after it gets imported into your GMail (via "Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server." settings)
      3. On your iPhone, associate your new GMail account (although IMAP is good, you can choose Google Sync to make better use of push. See: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740)
      4. You can now choose to remove your POP account on your iPhone.

• Mike Margolies

OK this makes sense to me. The only downside I see is not being able to send from my phone using my company email. I may leave the pop on and just delete everything as it comes in.

2. Mike Margolies

That does not work. I said it was a pop email account. I don't think there is a way to convert a pop account to a imap. I talked with both Apple and GODADDY. Go Daddy wants me to purchase a imap email account to go with my hosting plan. I don't really want the $35 per year for email. I thought perhaps their would be a setting trick or work around.

• muotechguy

POP accounts are horrendous, Godaddy even more so. Consider switching to a VPS like http://mediatemple.net if your website is big enough that you can afford it (assuming you host a site here, and dont just use godaddy for emails; a VPS starts at $50/month).

You can then either setup directly as an imap account, or install google apps to let google handle the imap side of thing.

3. GrrGrrr

there is no harm in switching to IMAP.

Apple imap issues – disappearing, not deleting, smtp server timeout, etc.
    http://support.godaddy.com/groups/email/forum/topic/apple-imap-issues-disappearing-not-deleting-smtp-server-timeout-etc/

delete the email account and then recreate the same account with same password.????