How can I delete the Windows Genuine Advantage Tool?

Buzz November 18, 2011

A friend unknowingly downloaded the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool (KB905474). But I haven’t installed it on my Windows XP Pro (SP3) computer. How do I find and delete the file?

1. Buzz

Tks heaps Jay ...

I found the  softwaredistributiondownload folder ,,, I found the folder with the downloaded files in it ... so, I deleted that folder ... re-started computer but it's still asking me to install those downloaded files when I hit the Auto Updates button (yellow shield) on the task bar (bottom right) ...

The problem is this: it seems that until I install these files, no other new updates are coming thru (the WGA file was downloaded accidently about 2 months ago) but,  there has been many M'soft updates since then (Security update tools etc...) and i haven't got 'em ...

any further advice muchly appreciated.
    Buzz

PS: I found the files by going to the 'Reporting Events' text file in the softwaredistributiondownload folder

choose to download the updates,
      to see which updates are those, may be it is not only wga.
      and when it starts to download choose cancel.
      it may stop it from showing the notification.

if this does not work for stopped new updates,
      turn off and then turn on automatic updates.
      there will be also a do not show option, if you search the option.

as i can't test this, it is just a guess based on some random experiences which may or may not work.

2. Buzz

Can't find the install file guys ...

- Searched for "KB905474" & windows genuine advantage tool a few times, before initial posting of this question.

-  had a look in my downloads folder on 'C' drive - nothing there
    -  had a look in Windows/system 32 on 'C' drive - nothing there, I don't think ?

oh where oh where does Windows put an install file after it has been downloaded but not installed ?
    (gotta be on there somewhere)

PS:
    Already had selected Notify me of windows updates but don't download or install
    Have selected unhide hidden files in system 32

Hello, you might want to check what the default folder for downloads is in your browser.  What browser are you using?

Firefox:
      -- open firefox
      -- click on Tools and then options
      -- on general tab and under download heading, check the default folder for downloads in the save file too option
      -- navigate to folder and check there

Chrome:
      -- open chrome
      -- click on wrench
      -- options
      -- click on under the hood tab
      -- in download location section, check the download folder path
      -- search in that folder

If you are using internet explorer you could also try checking the files in temporary files:

-- open internet explorer
      -- click on Tools and then internet option
      -- in general tab and under browsing history
      -- click on settings
      -- click on view files
      -- check the contents of both folder above

Do you by any chance have a download manager/program like, flashget, orbit downloader, idm, etc.?  If you do, make sure to check the settings in downloader to find out default download folder.

Also chances are if genuine tools was downloaded with windows update and it wasn't used, it was cleared if you use something like crapcleaner to get rid of your temporary files.  Bottom line is, if the file wasn't installed and you can't find it, no big deal......it is not using much space and it is not running.

this is the location of where windows stores updates. if i am not wrong
      open this directory, if there are no update files then, it wasn't installed.

C:WINDOWSSoftwareDistribution
      or start>> run >> %windir%softwaredistributiondownload

C: is where os is installed, if you have installed os in another drive use another letter.

with this settings, it will never be installed, try to delete it only to free your memory, as there is no possibility of installation.

3. Buzz

Tks so much guys for yr replies ... I will have a go at it later when I have 5mins spare ... just to clarify - it's was downloaded BUT not installed

cheers lads

you can also search "KB905474" on your c drive or default download location.

may be you will find the file.

to prevent the installation:

right click on my computer, click on properties
    click automatic updates.
    choose any of the last three options.
    and apply

no updates will be automatically installed.

if it is installed
    1.read the article by MUO
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/remove-windows-genuine-advantage-pc

OR
    2. system restore can also be used to remove installed UPDATES.

OR
    3. go to control panel add and remove programs >> click on show updates and remove the update as you know the name.

this for both you and your friend.

Hello, if the tool was only downloaded and not installed, it is just a matter of navigating to the default download folder setup in your system.  Most times it is under Downloads in the My Documents folder.  Once you find the tool there, just delete the file.  You can also use the search function in XP to find the file. 

-- click on start
    -- search
    -- type windows genuine advantage tool
    -- click on search

If it is already installed, follow the instructions in the link left above...or you could use the following tool:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/RemoveWGA.shtml

6. Jeff

Hi Buzz,

A system restore should do the trick, then just don't install the update. If it doesn't, follow the steps listed here to remove it.

- Jeff

he said his friend installed it but he didn't....at least that is what I understood from reading his description.