How can I delete an unallocated partition in Windows after uninstalling Ubuntu?
Question by Marc /

I just removed Ubuntu and its partition using suggestions here successfully. However I left one unallocated partition, which I want to add. I have downloaded EasyBCD and Easeus Partition Master but can’t delete the unallocated area.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , , ; tagged , ; or ask your own question.

To successfully complete this procedure, you will need to a LiveCD with gparted

1 Restart the computer so that it starts (“try without installing”) on the Live-CD.
    2.Go in the Système?Administration?gParted menu;
    3.Localise partitions for Ubuntu. They will be in the format ext4 and linux-swap
    4. Each Ubuntu partitions and only those of Ubuntu, do a right click on it and order Delete;
    5. (Optional) when you are finished removing Ubuntu partitions, you can expand your other partitions to allocate this space released to existing partitions, or create a new partition in the space to use it in your other operating systems;
    6.Click on the Apply button to apply the changes;

Get your windows CD, and type ‘fdisk /mbr’ at the recovery console.

or Super Grub Disk

You can format the Ubuntu partition from Windows Recovery Environment and check if it helps.

Use the Windows installation disc to go to windows Recovery Environment or system recovery options page. Follow these steps:

1. Insert the disc.

2. Restart your computer using the computer’s power button.

3. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

• If your computer isn’t configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer’s BIOS settings. For more information, see

4. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

5. If you are using the Windows installation disc, click Repair your computer.

Now continue with the instructions until you get an option to format the partition. Select the partition where Ubuntu is installed and click on format.

Open Disk Management interface by typing diskmgmt.msc at run. Right click the volume/drive you want to delete and press delete volume. You can also format it to use as another drive.

If you want to combine this volume with another drive, delete that another drive as well and both volumes will then merge into one unallocated disk space. You can then create a fresh drive from this space. Remember to back up your data.

if you have unallocated hard drive space then you do not need to delete it. You can allocate that space to an existing partition using the tools you mentioned in your question. Did you try to add the unallocated space to your Windows partition, i.e. increase the partition size?

Or do you still have an empty Linux partition that you cannot delete? In that case the space would not be unallocated.

• Slktep

Tina, Thanks for your response. I did exactly what you said and now I have full use of my computer.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Glad it worked! :)