How do I delete the recovery partition in my Dell Inspiron laptop?

Arsalan Ahmad September 23, 2011

My Dell Inspiron N5110 came without any operating system. I installed Windows 7 myself using my own copy.

In the disk management, it shows two hidden drives. One is ~40 MB labeled OEM partition (100% free) and the other is OS partition (99% free). Since my laptop never had any OS or backups to begin with, I want to delete those partitions to make some other partitions. The disk management is not able to edit or delete those drives.

There is a methode discussed for windows xp possible works on 7
    To remove this partition without formatting, run this Dell Restore Remove Utility located at C:DellUtilitiesDSRDSRIRRemv2.exe . This will delete the restore partition and combine the space into your XP partition.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/1664385-post4.html

2. mesasr

a friend of mine had exactly the same problem with the same laptop
    we still dont know what that "OS" partition was for, but couldnt stand it from the very start so eventually we went on to delete it using Ubuntu Live CD, then a strange thing happened - we couldnt boot to a fresh Win7 install even though it was there and seemingly unharmed, so we ended up reinstalling Win7 again and now everything's fine finally

• Jeffery Fabish

The "OS" partition was your operating system (Windows 7).

• mesasr

I know what OS stands for,but the thing is it is there right out of the box on a machine that was supposed to have nothing installed on it(hence its a little cheaper and the Windows 7 sticker is missing), has only ~2GB space and like the asker says, its almost completely empty

It happens once in a while... human error.
          Basically they have workstations where they connect the drives and hit a button to pre-load everything onto it. If a drive is placed "on the wrong shelve" or they are experiencing stock shortage it may end up in a machine it wasn't supposed to.

These drives are probably already mounted. I would burn a Linux Live CD and use the partition manager (GParted for most) to delete the partition. Since you have the install CD, it is probably safe to delete these partitions. However you can create other partitions without deleting the recovery ones. You can have a maximum of 4 primary (bootable) partitions, however you can have as many secondaries as you wish (usually).