How can I delete Linux from a Dual Boot with Windows in case I don’t like it?

Ritesh September 12, 2011

Many Linux distribution allow dual boot with Windows. I want to try alternate Linux os with windows. However, I am not aware how to remove it after giving a try.

Search before you post.

Jeffery,

I see your point, but I also see how it's not easy to search MakeUseOf and navigate the results. I was very overwhelmed at first when I started to work for MakeUseOf almost 4 years ago and back then the site had very little content compared to now. I think we are not making it easy for users to find things and while I try to filter out and re-direct 'duplicte' questions to previously asked questions, I sometimes fail, even though I edited and published most of the 5,000+ questions myself.

Anyways, we're working on improvements!

If you want to test another Linux distribution I would simply start the installation, format the partition of your previous Linux installation and select it as storage for the new one.

If you want to go all the way back to windows only you will have to start/boot from the Windows CD

with Windows 7:
    chose to repair Windows
    start a command prompt and issue the following commands

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot

with Windows XP:
    chose to start the recovery console
    select your Windows installation
    at the command line issue the following commands

fixmbr
    fixboot

After restarting the computer you should automatically get into Windows.
    Rightclick the "My Computer" icon and select Manage (or manually navigate to the Administrative Tools within the Control Panel)
    navigate to Storage > Disk Management
    Format the Linux partition