Why can’t I delete folders that are mysteriously appearing on my PC?

mamitkumar May 4, 2012

I used someone’s card reader to upload my photos to Facebook. No problem. In the interim when I accessed my music I say many files with name and album art, which I deleted.

However, now outside of the music folder there are two folders with the names $recycle bin$, system volume information. I don’t know where they came from and they won’t delete. They just re-appear or don’t delete at all.

I’ve scanned with McAfee many times but no issues were found. So why won’t these files stay deleted? I’ve even tried to delete via command prompt, but when I try that, the prompt says not files with those names are found.

1. jagadeesh

how to delete videos and folders please help me any one

2. Aruzmeister

you can also you unlocker to delete though

Those are required folders. The Recycle Bin is where the system puts the files you delete. System Volume Information contains other metadata about the partition it exists on. Both of them are marked as hidden system files. Apparently the settings for Windows Explorer have been changed on your system so you can now see hidden and superhidden (hidden+system) files and folders.

You can change the settings so you can no longer see these files again by opening Windows Explorer, clicking on Organize -> Folder and search options. In the resulting dialog box, select the View tab, then check 'Hide protected operating system files' and under Hidden files and folders, select the 'Don't show hidden files, folders or drives'.

• Amit kumar

Thanks a lot sir, from the core of my heart, i was really annoyed what has happened to my laptop, just bought a brand new. sir, is there any tips to avoid it in future, so that no auto settings happen without my permission. but would like to conform once more sir, won't it create any problem, will it? Thanks once again.

You should not see any problems with it. As far as how the changes were even made in the first place, it could have been an autorun file on the card that was used and it should be the first thing checked. Most systems by default do not have hidden and superhidden files displayed. And it does not harm anything by having them displayed, either. As a matter of fact, I normally change those settings to allow hidden files, folders and drives (but keep the protected operating sytem files hidden) and I also tell it to show file extensions so I can tell if a file that was sent to me as an email attachment is attempting to masquerade as something it is not (a common way of viruses being sent and later run by users).