How can I delete files in Windows Vista forever?

bob dunford February 12, 2010

Can I completely remove some deleted files, so that I can clean up my computer better getting rid of some files, which I will never need again?

As you probably know files deleted using usual methods (i.e. Recycle Bin) can be easily recovered by a professional. In fact there is no 100% fool proof way to delete files permanently so that no one can ever recover them.

However, there are a number of free programs that delete files in way that make their recovery extremely had (nearly impossible). MakeUseOf covered such tools in the following articles:

- How To securely Retrieve and Delete PC files
    - 4 File Shredders to Make Deleted Data Unrecoverable

It depends what you class as 'deleting'. selecting the item or program you want deleted and pushing the delete key will move it to the Recycle Bin which can then be emptied.

However, I get the impression you want your computer wiped clean. Unfortuantly, you can't really do this. Certainly not from your own home. I'm sure you have a perfectly reasonable reason for wanting to permanently delete things but for security reasons (like tracking people browsing history etc... should the police ever need to see what the computer was used for) there will always be remnants of data.

To boost performance, delete/uninstall all unused programs and large files then defragment the disk using the disk defragmenter program. This can be found under Admin Tools in the control panel.

Thanks,
    Dean.

Yep.

You can either use shift-delete in the first place, or just delete them and then empty the Recycle Bin.

Note that this won't *securely* delete them, but will recover the space so you can reuse it.