If I delete a file uploaded to Dropbox from my hard disk, will it be deleted from Dropbox too?

Faisal Ahmed August 27, 2012

Suppose, I have uploaded a document to Dropbox from my hard disk. Now, the document gets deleted from my hard disk accidentally. Will the document uploaded to Dropbox be deleted then?

I would also need some clarification of the point mentioned by Matt Smith on his “Using the Magic Pocket: A Dropbox Guide” under the system requirements that Hard disk space should be at least equal to Dropbox storage limit. Does it mean that I must have 2 GB free space on my hard disk as soon as I signed up to Dropbox? What will happen if my hard disk have less free space than the storage limit available to my Dropbox account?

I reckon you have got my point of concern. I will be happy to hear your opinion.

1. venkatp16

If you enable automatic sync once you open the dropbox utility in your system it will deleted from online dropbox folder also.

And it is not mandatory that you should have same space as your dropbox , that is the limit of files that you can upload to dropbox. As you know dropbox maintains a local copy of your online dropbox folder.

2. i0ni

So, when you install dropbox on your computer, you choose a folder where dropbox will be installed. Everything that's in that folder on your computer will also be 'in the cloud'. If you delete a file from your computer, it will also be deleted frtom the cloud.

You don't necessary need 2Gb of free space, but if you have 2Gb in your dropbox account and only 1Gb of free space, the files won't be able to be downloaded.

• Faisal Ahmed

Thanks...but I am clouding my documents to have some free space on my hard disk; so no need to download!

• Faisal Ahmed

Thanks to all of you for your insightful comments...I reckon the question is resolved...

3. VictorGeis

You don't need the full available space on your hard disk as your Dropbox. For example, if my Dropbox can hold 2 GB and my computer only has 1 GB of free space, it will still be able to be used on your computer.

The only issue would be if you try putting in more files (either by the web interface or another computer) in your Dropbox than your hard disk has of free space, then your Dropbox on your hard disk won't sync all the files. However, all the files that were synced before the addition of the new files will remain on your computer.

Hope that helps : )

Faisal,

Did you install the Dropbox desktop client? If you delete a file from your Dropbox folder, i.e. using the desktop client, it will also be deleted from Dropbox. However, you can recover it for 30 days!

If you delete the file anywhere else, i.e. from a folder that is not a designated Dropbox folder, then the Dropbox copy will not be affected.

My guess is that if you have less hard disk space than the amount available on Dropbox, then you cannot use the full space of your Dropbox account or if you have more files on your Dropbox, not all of the files will be synced back to your hard disk. This may cause issues, but I will have to let someone else answer this for sure.

Correct on all counts.

• April Eum

pretty much sums it up. you can also unlink your dropbox on your desktop dropbox client, then delete the dropbox folder. in which case your dropbox won't be affected because it's just now files sitting in your client/hard disk

• Faisal Ahmed

I will definitely try it!

• Oron

Tina is correct. The space required on your hard disc is for synchronization, so if you have less than 2GB, you will only be able to sync what you can store on your HD.
      Incidentally, if you exceed your storage limit, you will get an alert from Dropbox to that effect and will not be able to synchronize any new stuff, but what is already on the Dropbox site will remain there.

• Faisal Ahmed

I was unaware about the sync...Thanks Tina.