How can I delete my Facebook account?

Saw Lwin Lwin July 28, 2010

I created a Facebook account to have contact with my friends, but I accepted some friends request as well. Now I have some disturbances from those kind of new friends. So I would like to create new account for screening. How can I delete my old account?

1. PkwebHost

You can deactivate your account by going to settings -> account settings, and then scroll down to "deactivate account".

2. Bill Cody

Make sure you understand the difference between deactivate and delete. Deactivating your account means your account will just become dormant for as long as you allow it to be dormant. Facebooks servers will retain all of your personal data in case you decide you would like to activate your account some day in the future.

Deleting your account will completely delete all of your personal information from facebooks servers and will not allow you to activate your account in the future like you can with deactivating your account. If you are serious about deleting your account do the following:

Log into facebook
    Click on account and then Help Center
    You can either search for Delete my account or look under the common searches section
    If you search for Delete my account you may have to click on "Show more results" to see the result you are looking for
    Once you see the section How do I delete my account, just follow the instructions

Now before you delete your account make sure you know the other options you have other than removing your account permanently. If "Friends" are you problem you can de-friend anyone listed under your Friends so that they are no longer one of your friends. Just go to that users page by either using the white search bar at the top and entering that persons name or click on my friends from your profile page. Once you get to the users page you'd like to de-friend, scroll down and look on the left hand side until you come across Remove from Friends list. Click that link and confirm you would like them removed and they will no longer be your friend. You can also adjust your privacy settings and control who can see what information on your profile. There are several ways to control your profile under your privacy settings so make sure you check them out.

3. Mayank

Login To Facebook With Your Account.
    Click On Account And Then Click On "Help Center".
    On The Right Hand Side.
    There Should Be A Heading With "Common Searches".
    Just Under That There Should Be A Option "delete account".
    Click On It And Follow Instructions.
    If Such Option Does Not Show, Search For It By Typing "delete Account".

Hope My Answer Satisfies You.
    The Person Above Me Who Answered Was The Same. Just I Explained You The Steps For Doing It, So That Later On You Need Not Search Again For Such Thing Just Keep The Thing In Mind.

4. Morad_tlawey

follow this link ....

http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

Once you have sent the form, do not log back in to your account for 14 days or the account will be reset.

5. Steve Campbell

You can un-friend people by going to their profile, scrolling down, and clicking on Remove Friend on the left.

6. Muhammad Mehran

Simply Go To my account and then select deactivate account

7. Ryan Dube

Also - you can deactivate your account by going to settings -> account settings, and then scroll down to "deactivate account".

I'm not positive, but I think the rules changed on deleting permanently - and as it stands now I believe that you need to deactivate your account, and then not log in or interact with your account in any way (don't forget to disable cellphone access) for a full 14 days, and then your account will be permanently deleted.

Before you delete your account, see whether you can resolve your issues by following these tips: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-complete-guide-to-facebook-privacy/

If you still want to delete your account, check out this article from Charnita, which also covers Facebook: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-delete-unwanted-online-accounts-easily/