How can I delete duplicate photos from iPhoto?

anil May 28, 2010

How can one delete duplicate photos from iPhoto library on iMAC?

1. Stefan Reitshamer

I wrote a $7 app called Duplifinder that finds and shows duplicates in your iPhoto Library:

http://www.haystacksoftware.com/duplifinder/

You can view the sets of duplicates, double-click to locate a photo in iPhoto, press Delete to delete a photo from iPhoto. Or just push "Move all duplicates to iPhoto Trash" to clean up.

If you have any questions about it please email me at support@haystacksoftware.com.

- Stefan

2. Paul north

I suggest you go to http://www.easyduplicatefinder.com and download Tidy Up for MAC. This will help you manage all your duplicate files.

3. Frank79

What i wish it could do was replace duplicate pictures in albums with links to the original.

Pre iPhoto, I used Picassa on the PC and it used folders instead of albums to organize photos. That meant to make more than one album, I ended up duplicating the picture. That's how I ended up with duplicates.

Frank,

I recommend you to ask this as a new question. Your chances of receiving answers will be much higher.

try iPhotoDiet, It's free.

Make sure to backup the photos beforehand, regardless of what program you're going to use.

Aibek

You can use Duplicate Annihilator (a US$ 7.95 Shareware). Not a free alternative, but if you have a lot of duplicates to eliminate, this one is worth considering.

6. Ian

To delete Picture from I Photo.
    Select picture, right click and on drop down menu select Remove to Trash, near bottom of menu.

7. Steve Campbell

I'm not too familiar with iPhoto, but I'm assuming it has some kind of search filter for your photos. I know there are programs that can analyze all the files in a particular folder and return the results of files that appear to be identical in size/name.

Maybe you can run a search like this to find identical files that you can then sort/delete.