Why can I not delete this directory in localsettings\temp\WPDNSE?

Ray Nelson July 13, 2011

A directory in localsettings\temp\WPDNSE is creating some questions. I have read much about Media Player using it, but nothing about why and how it is not deletable.

It does let you move it. So I put it on my desktop to have easy access. When I tried to move it back it had been re-created, so now I have 2 of them (both not re-nameable or deletable).

FYI, I am a Visual Basic programmer. VB finds a directory in it with 10 spaces as the name, and in that another directory with 10 spaces for name and so on until you get a stack overflow because it is nested so deep.

It is like a Pointer to itself…

Anyone have information on this? I restored from backup, so I am back to clean system, yet this will cause some issues (it has for others already).

Normally  WPDNSE(Windows Portable Device Namespace Extension) it is automatically recreated when you restart pc and WMP  needs it. Windows uses this folder to temp share information when user elects to share information from a portable device

just uninstall WMP 11 and WMP 11 runtime libraries. And WPDNSE folder is GONE!.

• Ray Nelson

Thank you for responding.   I had read the Windows Portable Device Namespace Extension explanation, but had not read or thought of uninstalling WPM 11.    Since that is my player of choice, and I am heavily invested in using Playlists, deleting it is not an option for me.   I don't share with Portable devices, so guess I'll just have to live with it, yet knowing why helps somewhat.

That directory in the directory is yet to be explained.   Is it a circular pointer that can not be deleted and therefore make's it's parent undeleteable too?   

You can not see it without some way other than Windows Explorer.  I will try to get attributes using VB code, could be it's flagged to protect it.   

Thanks again...

How many user accounts do you have on windows and which windows os do you have?

See if Windows Portable Device Shell Service is listed in Services and Disable it.
        Go to Startthen to| Run and type Type: services.msc   then Click OK | Scroll down to and double click Windows Portable Device Shell Service | Set Startup type to Disabled.

• Ray Nelson

In response to your last question, Just My Account is used, beyond that only guest and Administrator which have never been used.  This is a Windows XP(sp3) system that I am using while I wait for parts to fix my W7 sytem.  

I looked for Windows Portable Device Shell Service and did not find it, but I do realize that Window XP might not have that.   The closest thing was "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, which I don't need and was Manual, I set it to disabled and did not have any impact.

You can try to delete it in safe mode and see if it will replicate on reboot.

remove WPDShServiceObj.dll (first do abackup of it) located in the following path:
          C:WINDOWSsystem32WPDShServiceObj.dll
           possibly this will eliminate self-generating WPDNSE folder.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/WPDShServiceObj-15009.html

• Ray Nelson

Well, it won't delete.   And it's not that important, just would like to know how they get it so protected.   In W7 there is a feature called "Trusted Installer" that sort of acts that way with installed applications... 

So enough, I will just accept it's existence and leaveit alone.   There are several other wpd* files in there (wpdconns.dll, wpdmtp.dll, wpdmtpus.dll, WpdShext.dll, wpdshextautoplayj.exe, wpdshextres.dll, WPDShServiceObj.dll, wpdsp.dll, wpd_ci.dll) that I can play with, but it's not realistic at this moment.

One thing I love about XP is how small it is when you clean it up.  I have this down to 8gig used on 15gig system drive including all my Visual Studio.Net development environment and office 97.   Really hard to believe.   I can restore from a Macrium Reflect image in 10 minutes... 

Don't think I'll ever get to this with Windows 7...  Yet I can't wait to leave this and get back to the W7 world.   Can then restore kiddies games and stuff...

So thanks again, if I find a final resolution when I pick this up again, I will post it.