How can I delete a Bing infiltration from Firefox?
Question by Liz McGarrity /

One day recently I opened Firefox to find that BING had infiltrated my computer and was now my default search engine on Firefox. I checked my preferences and they are still listed as GOOGLE. I tried a few fixes listed on the internet, but nothing worked. How do I get rid of BING?

• Dave

Was able to delete it when the config didn’t work in FF, was able to find it as an add-on/extensions called Toolbar (not bing) which I thought at first was the google one I want to keep but it was bing. Likewise in IE

Changed my default browsers etc and have to remember what did next time this uninvited, unwanted “guest” arrives!

Thanks for reporting back, Dave!

I never liked Bing, your story confirms my idea. Glad you got rid of it!

• Dave

Bing not only took over my search engine – it took over my carefully selected 5 home pages. Now I have to find them again as defaults again.

Such a PAIN. I never ever want to hear the name Bing again. It keeps coming back and takes over and wipes out what I have carefully set up!

In FF I now have a Bing toolbar. In view toolbars it doesn’t show it separtely from the Toolbar I have that lets me select which serach to use. I don’t have hours to waste with this stuff. I delete bing as a serach engine, I delete it from the about:Config URL listing somwhere else suggested but I’ve still got the darn bing toolbar.

In another hour of wasted time I am sure I will figure it out but it gets lots of us to hate bing for its uninvited intrusion.

• Lizmcg

Many thanks to Tina and Fidelis! I’ve been busy and have not had time to try your suggestions. I will get back to you soon and let you know what works.

were you able to remove Bing from your system? Please let us know how you did it or whether you need more support. Thank you!

Hello, the most common reason for your search engine of choice to change is because it was added as your default engine by some software you downloaded. You have to pay attention when installing software, especially it is freeware because this installations add extra stuff. If it is a toolbar do, as Tina said.

You could try deleting the BING search engine by using the manage search engines. To do so, try the following:

— On the left hand side of your search box click the down arrow
    — select Manage Search Engines
    — highlight the BING entry
    — select remove
    — click ok

it would be easier for us to help you if you could share what you tried already to get rid of Bing!

The first things that came to my mind was that you need to look into your installed extensions and remove any search helper or toolbar extensions that may have set Bing as your default search engine. Have you tried that?