Which defragmenter should I use for a machine dual-booting Windows XP and Windows 98?

Aba Saheb February 23, 2011

Greetings. I am using Windows XP and Windows 98 SE in dual-boot configuration. Which defragmentation tool do I use, the one provided by Windows XP or the one from Windows 98 SE? Or do you recommend a third party tool like Auslogics’?

1. Lizzyv05

I love Auslogics Disk Defrag. It works great on my XP system and I particularly like its ability to optimize system file placement. Also something tells me that you will like its command line options.

win98 is older system and not sure with its defrag capacity. some says that The Win98 defrag program is only concerned with the Win98 OS and what files need to be moved and not moved - etc. It knows nothing about XP boot files or placement. You will be lucky in completely defragging a dual boot system from one or the other OS.

The best is to so try and also try in safe mode!

normally windows xp understands FAT32 partitions!
    If the XP partition is formatted as NTFS, then Win98 should not be able to
    see it.

also before defrag clean junck files and end all process with EndItAll2
    http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/enditall.htm

try
    Diskeeper Lite 7.0 Build 418
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207

Aba Saheb,

I'm curious to know what you need Windows 98 for?

Anyways, I'm inclined to say that it doesn't matter which tool you use, as defragging doesn't discriminate between operating systems.

However, specialized third party applications are to be preferred, and thus you will probably be forced to defrag from within Windows XP. I don't think there are many programs available for Windows 98 anymore, I would be surprised!

The tools MakeUseOf recommends are listed on our The Best Of: Windows Software page. I have personally used Defraggler and like it for its clear and easy to use interface. Auslogics Disk Defrag and IObit Smart Defrag are two more tools on our list.

• Aba Saheb

I am an old foggie - I still use a lot of DOS software,and Win 98 SE is the better preference.
      Anyway, Thanks a lot. Aba Saheb

I hope you are aware of the security thread Windows 98 is posing to both of your installations [and you took good steps to prevent it with AV etc.]

A lot of malware whose intrusion system was fixed with Windows XP updates might get in via vulnerabilities in Windows 98.

Auslogics Disk Defrag AND Defraggler are among the best defrag apps out there.