Are there any defrag programs for Windows that consolidate free space and optimize?

Dean August 17, 2011

Are there any defrag programs that consolidate free space and optimize?

1. sheena

we,re give it a go and let you know !!!!

Sorry, whats wrong with the tool built into windows?

• minister

e.g. lack of free space consolidation used for SSD manual trim (older disk don't have that feature)

3. widgetsdaddy

I use Auslogics and am very pleased with the results.

4. Bussybees

my defag dose a good job,it's free dnd has plenty of potions.I think it was once called DIRMS which stands for,do it right microsoft.

5. Sonny Bass

I have to place my vote with Auslogics Disk Defrag and Defraggler as runner up.

the Sysinternals Contig utility
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897428

NTFS locates the MFT (Master File Table) part-way into the drive to enhance performance, and its size is dynamic. There is an area ahead of it that files will not move into (to allow the MFT to expand), so this will often appear to be non-contiguous free space. Also, as the drive fills, the MFT may be expanded into more than one piece (a fragmented MFT). If this happens, the defragmenter will place the files closest to the fragment of the MFT they reference, so head movements will be smaller in accessing those files. This can actually improve performance compared with if those file locations were recorded in the original more remote MFT location, but the drive will look as though it needs defragmenting. 

Diskeeper  pro does it on auto defrag mode (Diskeeper has an option for freespace 
    consolidation.), but if you enable it's fragmentation prevention feature called 'intelliwrite', then it will not consolidate all of the free space, instead it will optimize file distribution to minimize future file fragmentation from file modification. Full free space consolidation is not of much help in real-world usage scenarios since frequently modified files will have no space to expand contiguously.
    http://www.diskeeper.com/blog/post/2009/08/07/Optimum-file-write-performance-Consolidating-free-space.aspx           

This depends greatly on which operating system your using and what file system it implements. 

For Windows (NTFS), I think the best may be Perfect Disk. It's a free trial, but it worked very well when I needed it. My next choice would probably be Smart Defrag or Defraggler.