Is it necessary to have a default browser?

Ron June 28, 2010

I sincerely appreciate all of you that have answered and addressed my concerns before. As per some of your recommendations I have been using Google Chrome browser and the speed is unbelievable. However, I still use Firefox, and at times even IE 8 using Windows 7 on a new Gateway i3 Intel desk top.

What I am wondering, is it necessary to have one of these mentioned browsers set as default?

For several weeks somehow none of them was set as default until this afternoon, when Microsoft sent me the link for the new IE 9 Internet Explorer Platform Preview. When I download the platform preview once again IE 8 became the default browser.

If it isn’t necessary to need a default browser, could someone please advise me how to remove IE 8 from being the default browser? It appears I have forgotten how I removed it as the default browser the first time.

Again, thanks!
Ron

1. Angelacollinsathanisou

cant remember who i made default browser can someone tell me how to find out plsease.

2. Angelacollinsathanasiou

please help me i dont remember who i made my default browser and want to change it and safe made

3. Steve Campbell

Ron,

Usually when you open a browser that isn't set as the default it will notify you to set it as such. Also, each browser should have a setting to make it the default in the options screen.

It's good to have the browser you use the most be your default browser so you can open links automatically and perform other activities, but like you said it isn't necessary to have one. It's simply preference.

You would probably find that your computer has a set default browser because if you don't if you open a link from an email, or an HTML file on your computer, you will get a message saying "What program do you want to open this in"

So to answer your question, no, but chances are it will have one set and you don't realize it.

I am using Vista, not sure if Windows 7 is the same, but in my Start button, I have a link to Default Programs. You may find something similar. If not in your start menu, it will be in Control Panel.

To set Firefox as the default browser go to: Tools --> Options --> Advance --> General --> System Defaults

5. Tim Platt

Hi Ron,Most modern browsers have some kind of option built into them where you can check/uncheck whether or not you would like them to be your default browser. For example in Chrome if you enter the preferences and look at the bottom of the basics tab, you will find a 'make chrome default browser' button. For Firefox click the advanced tab and under 'general' and then the check now buttons.It's pretty much a similar procedure for the big 5 browsers, I'm not sure about the rest for I rarely use them. I know on my Mac I can make any browser the default by following the a similar process as above but I'm given the option of choosing any browser as opposed to selecting just Safari.Now as for your actual question 'Is it necessary to have a default browser?'...I believe not. As a web developer I regularly test for multiple browsers and find benefits from different ones. Firefox allows me to utilise a number of excellent developer add-ons and gives me a fully customisable platform to work from. However I love Chromes speed and rising popularity and customisation options (I love Google in general). Then we have Safari, which is the most compatible browser with the new HTML5 and CSS3 technologies, providing a richer browsing experience. Opera mini is the mobile browser of choice and IE....well lets not talk about IE :) I think it's best bet to use something that your comfortable with or that suits your needs. If I want to test new CSS3 and HTML5 then bring on Safari, if I want a long browse utlilising my add-ons then hello Firefox and if I want a quick and hassle free blast around then Chrome has it covered. Use them to adapt to how you use the net.Forgive my English-ness and my lack of z's.Hope it helps.Tim

6. Ricknightcrawler

In regards to default browsers, it is easier to have a common location for your computer to look when it responds to a link on say a pdf file. The easiest way to make IE not your default browser is to place Firefox or Chrome as your default browser, which can be done as follows: for Firefox, go to Tools -> Options and under the General tab and System Defaults subtab click "Check Now" and then click "Yes". For Chrome, go to the wrench picture on the right side of your screen and click Options. Under the Basics tab, go to the Default Browser subtab and click the button labeled "Make Google Chrome my default browser".

Hope this helps.