Is my dedicated hosting plan really ‘dedicated’?

William January 29, 2011

When I log in to shared hosting, it looks like I own the server completely. No other users seen in active directory, just me.

Shared hosting is a lot like Virtual Box, all of the server hardware is displayed, but I am sharing server with 20 other domains.

There must be some kind of test to see if I am being given a virtual account versus a real one?

• William

Thanks for the website urls. I miswrote that last sentence, what I mean is: I don't want to be given a VPS account for dedicated pricing. How can I tell if I am assigned a full real server, versus a shared one?

2. William

Just to clarify, I will be paying for dedicated hosting in next couple of months which is a huge increase in what I have to pay. I didn't want to overload my question with too many details. I wanted to be able to check the validity of my hosting provider is all.

The only thing dedicated you have on a shared server is the space you paid for or were given.

Actually I don't understand why you have to ask this?
    You said you log into Shared Hosting which clearly isn't Dedicated Hosting. Also shouldn't you know what Hosting Package you ordered and payed for?

It's hard to tell what type of hosting you have from "outside".
    If you have system level access (root/ssh, Administrator/Remote Desktop) it could be VPS or Dedicated Hosting.
    If you have access via some sort of Controle Panel (CPanel, ISPConfig, Plesk, etc) then it's most likely some Managed, Shared or Reseller Hosting.

• William

Hey Mike, is the control panel a telltale sign of a shared environment? Of all the Dedicated Hosting plans, all of them offer to include a control panel for an additional charge. So does this mean it is shared, and not Dedicated? What's your take on this?

William, it might be easier if you point us in the direction of your host and the plan you are on, then we can tell you for sure.

A good way to tell is the price. If you're paying upwards of $500 / month, you are likely on dedicated hardware. At $50 / month, it will be dedicated VIRTUAL hardware - so you will have a virtual machine all to yourself, but there may be as many as 20 virtual machines on one server. Virtualization is rather large topic though.

If you are indeed paying dedicated server costs are just want to check that (?) then I'm not really sure you can. You pay for a certain amount of hardware, and for all intents and purposes, it really shouldn't matter whether that is physical or virtual, so long as the performance is the same.