How can I decrease the noise of my laptop fan?

lili November 5, 2010

My laptop is a Dell Vostro 33oo. While I’m working with it the fan makes noise. Is it normal?

1. Ajtagg

I'd recommend bathing your lappy in a radox bath. I tried this technique and now it doesn't make any sounds at all !!!!!

2. Lawtys

spray WD 40 switch off first
    Bryan

3. Smayonak

Oh and one more thing: Most laptops use a very poor quality thermal grease, which dries out over time, losing its transfer properties. I suspect this is part of some kind of planned obsolescence strategy. But anyway, the grease can be upgraded (with proper technical assistance) to Arctic Silver 5, or some kind of ceramic transfer medium, which will never dry out and will have many times more the efficacy of the default grease.

I have worked on many units that have dropped CPU temps by huge margins after using better grease.

4. Smayonak

Here are the three best DIY fixes: 1. use a vacuum cleaner and canned air on the heat vents to clear debris. If you have a cat, you may need professional cleaning, like ha14 suggested; 2. undervolting; 3. CPU throttling.

Undervolting is the technique of using a third party app to reduce the core voltage. There is no chance of damaging your lappy or reducing performance either. Just google "undervolting guide" for more details. It will work if your Vostro has an Intel-based CPU and it's relatively modern, like a Core2Duo or 5th generation Pentium.

Throttling on the other hand will slow your computer down, but will definitely improve its acoustics. Both techniques are easy to implement.

Other things you can do to reduce system heat: upgrade your hard drive to an SSD, reduce unnecessary start up programs, apply machine grease to your fan's axle and install more RAM. I would try the first three before anything else though.

5. RefBra

def. dust is the main culprit. My lap. was ultra noisy and even shut itself down when I was in Thailand because it couldn't cool down properly. I used one of those spray cans and voila'. Much less noise and no more shutting down ;)

6. Mr. John

Hi

Go to a laptop repair store and get the laptop cleaned out. You likely have a heatsink that is clogged therefore not dissipating the heat well and therefore making the CPU hot therefore making the fan run at its highest level (so higher noise).

Get a pad to go under the laptop and it plugs into your USB port and had fans that blow onto the bottom of the laptop.

software
    SpeedFan
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

•Open the program and navigate to your main CPU fan. This is usually the fan that makes the most noise. Right-click on the fan and go to the controller settings. In this menu, you can control limits for this fan. Turn down the speed limits on the CPU fan to keep it from being so loud. Keep in mind that, if you have cooling problems with your laptop, this is probably not the best idea.

or
    1) updating the BIOS, 2) keeping air vents clear and clean, 3) increasing the efficiency of the notebook, 4) selecting a lower power setting for non-critical actions.

also make sure it’s not the hard drive noise. In some cases a faulty hard drive can makes noises very similar to a faulty cooling fan

final
    Purchase an ultra-quiet CPU fan that is compatible with your laptop

• leili solat

thank you so much dear friend.

8. M.S. Smith

Yep, it's normal.

There probably isn't much you can do to fix it. You can attempt to change the fan settings in the BIOS, however, I very much doubt that the BIOS of a Dell Vostro will let you modify fan speed.

• leili solat

thank you so much Mr smith.