Why did the Debian live CD I burned at 16x turn out corrupted?

Zhong Jiang October 16, 2012

I was burning the stable Debian image using PowerISO through a temp folder and when the software had finished writing the data at a speed of 16x, the verification didn’t complete due to errors in the data offset and stopped at 98%. I tried to boot the CD and the installer stuck and said to check the integrity of the disc, stopping at .doc/manual/el/install/el./txt, the file failed the test.

I’ve asked the Debian IRC channel, despite their efforts to answer my question, they point to the fact that my CD was corrupted due to high or inefficient burning speed. Now, I’m trying to ask if this is really true when burning an image because I’ve burn several other images at the same speed and produced no issues. It’s clearly that my driver is working due to the recovery disc set I’ve performed recently and the quality of the CD is a bit old but doesn’t lead to clues of corruption.

Is the speed really to blame?

Use a quality CD-R, 8x writing speed, close all other apps. and don't use computer untill write complete. If computer is a laptop, run on AC power.

2. Nathan Labbe

Every time I have read up on how to burn ISO it strongly suggests the slowest speed. I am no expert but the experience i do have is usually success with slow speeds, when it fails for its usually due to a corrupt download. Redownloading usually fixes my problems, usually using Daemon Tools

3. Dimal Chandrasiri

first see what is the maximum burning speed of the disc. if it is less than 16x, it will not work! the burning would be successful but the disc would get corrupted. try reducing the speed and burn on a same brand disc. if this continues you have a faulty drive.

additional : check the image for hash errors.

More than likely, yes. If you burn at a high speed, there is a greater chance of disc error because the interfaces inside the computer can't keep up with the data burst. Burning at a low speed means that een if something interrupts the process - like Windows randomly decides to read your hard disk at some point - then there is still a large buffer to continue burning. Remember that an operating system is doing lots of things in the background, even if you think its *only* burning the CD - it's not.

Always burn at 4X to be safe.

5. Deekshith Allamaneni

No, burning speed is not a problem as far as I know. Try to use ImgBurn application (Win) or K3b (Linux) for burning your disk. You might have got this problem due to some bug in the burning program or due to currupted disk or CD-ROM. If it is due to the faulty program, use the recommended program as mentioned above. It has nothing to do with Debian. It could have occured with any other data too.

6. Manuel Guillermo López Buenfil

From my experience, burning a CD will sometimes result in small error, and these errors are more probable if you burn at a higher speed. A lower speed will make your CD more likely to be perfect, but it may still get a bit wrong somewhere.
    I recommend using a USB instead, but if you must use a CD then you can try again at a lower speed.

• Zhong Jiang

Yes, I agree. I used Unetbootin to configure my system to boot from the files being implemented inside. The lowest speed it has is 10x to highest speed of 40x.

7. Adrian Rea

See if you can use pendrivelinux to make a live usb

8. Adrian Rea

I am not sure if it is the speed, was that the recommended speed on the disc? did you dl a dvd? could you try it on a usb can you check the md5 check? there could be something in the settings on poweriso