How do I deal with a copyright infringement claim on a paid book trailer?

Anonymous March 5, 2014

I ordered and paid for a book trailer video from a Fiverr gig. After loading the book trailer to Youtube I got a notice that there was a copyright infringement complaint and the video was blocked from my account. The Fiverr gig had been sold numerous times according to the Fiverr sales copy from the supplier. How do I deal with this?

1. Thom R

Thank you to both Dave P and Dalsan M above for their helpful suggestions.

I have left messages twice to the Flverr gig creator and, so far, have had no response to my inquiry. The last message gave the person until noon my time today to respond or I would be forced to notify Fiverr support with a formal complaint. I have use many Fiverr gigs over the past few years and this is the first time I have run into a situation of no response from a highly rated vendor. I will try to give the benefit of doubt to the vendor, but no response makes me a bit edgy. This is an order placed for one of my clients so the situation is made more important.

2. Dave P

It looks as though the video creator used copyrighted material in some form or another, which has been caught by YouTube's Content ID system. You won't get into any trouble as long as you don't try to re-upload the video. You should contact the Fiverr seller and notify them of the situation. They will hopefully offer to fix the video by removing the copyrighted material. But I fear there is little else you can do if they refuse. Apart from notifying Fiverr, I guess.

Contact the person from Fiverr that created the trailer and let them know what is going on. There may be music, images, or other references that would be considered copyright infringement and the person that created the video must try to make changes in order to comply with the copyright guidelines.