How can I deactivate my touchpad in Windows XP?
Question by rocketmouse /

Do I understand it correctly that there is no way to deactivate the touchpad when a mouse is connected on a Windows XP laptop?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , .
Windows Hacks & Customization
Windows Hacks & Customization
Windows_10
Windows_10
Android OS Tips
Android OS Tips
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Cool Toys and Gadgets

• rocketmouse

I did say laptop, but I think I meant notebook. This is an Asus 3e (running XP Home); I don’t see a button. I’ve now disabled the touch pad from Controlpanel, Mouse (it’s all in Swedish – sorry if I didn’t get that precisely right) but I doubt that will be acceptable to the owner. I’m still looking for a way to have the touch pad disabled ONLY when the mouse is plugged in.
    -rocketmouse

Hello, go to Mouse settings under control panel, and then click the Device
      Settings tab. Once there, check to see if the following option is there:  Disable internal pointing device when external USB is attached.  If it is there, make sure to check the Disable internal pointing device
      when external USB device is attached and then click ok.  That should get you what you want.  If the option is not there, then check the software installed for your trackpad.  Most times it is Synaptics but there is more options than that. 

Hello, most laptops have a button close to the touchpad that once pressed disables it.  It could be at the bottom or top of the touchpad.  You can also disable touchpad from device manager….the trick is remembering to enable it when need it.

What laptop model do you own?