Will a DDR3 to DDR5 GPU be compatible and run without problem in DDR2 GA-G31M-ES2C (rev. 2.x)?

Wiry Andi August 11, 2012

I want to upgrade my hardware, but I’m not sure if it is compatible with my PC or not.
I have nVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT. GeForce GT 550 Ti, GeForce GTS 450, and GeForce GTX 460 interest me. Which one should I choose?

Video card compatibility are not determined by memory types (DDR2, DDR3, DDR5, etc). The important things to consider are the slot type required, the total amount of system RAM installed (most require a minimum of 1GB of system RAM of any type mainly due to its driver installer requirements) and an optical drive (since its drivers and utilities come on a CD or DVD). The only other considerations are if the card has the appropriate output connectors for your situation, the features you desire for the software/games you will be running, and your power supply can handle the additional load. Out of the cards listed, the GTX 460 is definitely the best, but look out for the power draw: up to 160W.

The memory used on the graphics card has no relation to the system memory on the motherboard - no issues there.

Out of listed cards I personally would go for a GTX 460 with 1GB (or more).

Depending on availability and flexibility of your budget I would look for a GTX 560Ti 448 Cores. It's based on the GF110 chip, basically a GTX 570 with 2 disabled SM cores.

you have slot

1.1 x PCI Express x16 slot
    2.1 x PCI Express x1 slot
    3.2 x PCI slots

graphic cards that are faster than PCI Express x16 will only work with the speed PCI Express x16, depending on what you want to do and if you are gamer then try GeForce GTX 460