Is it dangerous to share a static IP address over WiFi?

Jony January 30, 2015

I have a static IP address because I set up a small server to track the vehicles of my small business.

Because I run the business from home, I have now two lines that provide Internet: a business line and a residential line. I want to get rid of of the residential line and use the business Internet to every one in the house.

I have been told that it is dangerous to share a WiFi network using a static IP address.

My question is how dangerous? Or, should I really be worry about it?

1. IP.AN.WEB.ID

Is it dangerous to share a WiFi network using a static IP address?
    My answers: No and Yes.
    it is not dangerous if you share in your home and you are monitoring the wifi clients.

How dangerous? Or, should I really be worry about it?
    Someone will target your business server if he want.
    You must worry with your business.

2. Jony

what you mean, "blocking illegal services" on the router?

• Jan F.

That mostly depends on your local laws as well as the providers terms of service. But one example that comes to mind is the Bittorrent protocol. Mostly everything people do via Bittorrent is downloading copyrighted material. For the few times you can/do use it for legal activity you can always set an exception for the specific computer.

Certain websites or online services may be considered illegal in your country e.g. online gambling. In that case it may be a good idea to either block known sites on your router/firewall or easier, set your network to use something like OpenDNS and block the troubling categories via their website.

All it takes is someone 'cracking' your wireless network and using your internet connection for such activity. Having a static IP address this can easily be traced back to you (months, years later) until your public IP changes, which it usually doesn't for as long as you have the contract.

Actually, it is not only about illegal services but also security. Having a static IP you will be faced with outside attempts to intrude your network more frequently. Therefor you want to make sure there are no "holes" in your router/firewall. At a best case scenario you can set your router to block everything and only accept specific connections (DNS, HTTPs, POP, IMAP, SMTP, selected ports your applications require).

3. Jan F.

The short answer would be that it is not more or less dangerous than having a dynamic IP.

To elaborate on that you are facing the same dangers but you are more exposed. For example if someone is doing something illegal via your internet it is much easier to trace it back to you since the static IP can be directly linked to you, usually as simple as doing a IP whois. Therefor it does not require some elaborate lawsuit to trace back the offending IP via stored access data from your provider (depending on local laws).

Also, if your network is not properly secured via a firewall an intruder does not have to "search" for your network again as your infrastructure will be reached via the same address at all times.

At the end of the day it comes down to the same points:
    Properly secure your network, both on the wireless end (encryption, strong password, MAC filtering if applicable) as well as from and to the internet using a proper router and/or firewall, blocking illegal services etc.

if Your website share the ip address with another site that has been marked as malware...it can make your website unreachable, this may raise false alarms against your website.

If your site is infected
    https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/163634?hl=en

The Advantages & Disadvantages to a Static IP Address
    http://www.ehow.com/list_6106206_advantages-disadvantages-static-ip-address.html