How can I use custom cursor files in Windows 7?

Rick November 16, 2010

I have Windows 7 and I created a custom pointer theme with some .cur and .ani files. I apply the theme and whenever I restart the computer the custom pointer theme is selected, but I will get the default Windows pointer theme. The files are not corrupted because I used them on Windows Vista. How do I prevent this?

1. Mahmud24601

Thanks bunches HA14!

2. Jesus Goncalves

Substitute the cursors on the default theme, by doing that your cursors should appear when you reboot the PC.

Hi

?Open the start menu, and type "mouse pointer" in the search field.
    ?Click on the "Change how the mouse pointer looks" link in the results:
    ?Windows 7 will open the Mouse Properties dialog: make sure that the "Pointers" tab is selected.
    ?At the very bottom, you will see a "Allow themes to change mouse pointers" checkbox, which is checked by default. As you now know, this is why when you customize Windows 7 to use certain themes, the appearance of your cursors will change as well.
    ?To prevent themes from affecting the look of Windows' mouse pointers, uncheck that checkbox, and click on the OK button to apply the new setting.
    ?From now on, only the cursor scheme you have chosen will be used, including any custom mouse pointers you may have used in a saved scheme.

In most cases, Windows themes by Microsoft or third-party use a custom mouse pointer scheme that is in harmony with the theme itself; but with this extra option, Windows 7 lets you retain some control over one of the most important tool in your computer (a prankster could well include "invisible" mouse pointers in a theme, which would make it very difficult to use your mouse!)

• Rick

it makes sense, but for some reason it did not work. i rebooted the comptuer to test it and it went back to the default theme, but the custom theme was still selected and the option was unchecked... any other ideas??