Why do I need a credit card to make a payment with PayPal although I have a sufficient balance?

Jeffery August 17, 2011

I have a PayPal account and I’m trying to buy something from Zazzle.com. I get an error message “To complete the payment with Zazzle Inc., please add a new credit card.” even though I have a sufficient balance to pay without a credit card. Is there any way around this?

I don’t own a credit card, so that isn’t even an option. It never used to do this.

1. Mulder

You don't. Zazzle accepts PayPal, and credit cards for payment. So at checkout on Zazzle, you'd need to select PayPal and then login to your account. It should show your default payment method, and if it says Credit or Debit card, you can click on the Change link to select a transfer from your bank account as the payment method.

That's all you should need to do. Or are you seeing something entirely different? If so, please post one or more images that show what you see (with personal info blacked out).

• Jeffery Fabish

That's what I did, yet it still says I need a credit card. I chose to use the "paypal balance" and I noticed in the title bar it says "Error - Link a new debit" after pressing "ok" which would lead me to the area where I have to enter a credit card. 

I'm able to purchase other things so I don't know why Zazzle is busting my balls. 

• Mulder

Hmm…could be an error on Zazzle's web site causing it, so the first thing I'd do is try clearing the browser cache and all cookies, then quit and restart the browser to try it again. If you're not using IE, try using it instead of Firefox, Chrome, or Safari, since Zazzle claims they designed their site for IE.

If that still doesn't work, I'd send an email to both PayPal and Zazzle's support departments and ask them to get their act together and solve the problem. If they want your business, they have to make it work for you.

some companies require that users pays via credit card even when paid with Paypal. I am not really sure about the logic beihnd this but it seems to be as a stupid security measure.

• Mulder

According to PayPal:

If you have money in your PayPal account you can use it to pay for any
        purchases made on line as long as there is a bank or a credit card
        linked to the account. If your PayPal account does not have either a
        bank or credit card linked to it, you will not be able to use any money
        on your PayPal balance towards any payment on line.