How can I create a username and password to provide people temporary access to my internet?

Bitsy December 2, 2010

I would like to know how can you create a username and password (if possible) to allow access to the internet. For example Brisith Telecom have it where you have to put your username and password in to use the internet at WiFi spots around the country. Is this possible to set up at home for temp users that visit my place, so I don’t give my real password out to everyone for the internet.

1. Ollie

I have 2 accounts on my puter which runs Vista. I have my own account which has full access, and a visitor account, which is limited. It means that I always have to log-in to my account, but I have frequent visitors, so it's no biggie to switch users when they need to get online.

2. Bill Cody

Bitsy-

This is not as difficult and time consuming as some users are posting on here, as long as you already have the hardware, so don't get scared away from a somewhat easy setup. Most newer access points allow you to have multiple SSID's running on your wireless access point for this exact reason you are speaking of. All you do is simply create a second SSID on your access point and configure it with whatever information you'd like to use and that is the SSID and password you tell your friends to connect to when they come over. I use an Asus RT-N12 access point at my home and that is the specific feature they market towards the customer is multiple SSID's. Here is the link to the webpage for that particular asus model.

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=xq8udon10ZTLU7o2&templete=2

Just scroll down to the section called 4-Network-in-1 and it will show a great explanation with a visual diagram of the technology. You can pick up this type of router for fairly cheap if you don't already have a router that supports this technology. Hope this helps you find simple solution to your issue.

3. Preston

You could just temporarily change your WPA password while they are visiting and then change the wireless password back after your visitors have left.

Alternatively give the visitors the current WPA password and change it after they have left.

4. Chris

chillispot
    http://www.chillispot.info/
    this is router/AP based.

5. Paul-G

You could use free software to set up a Internet Cafe gateway to your connection. Google "free internet cafe software" for numerous possible solutions. It will require some time and an always-on PC to manage it though.

6. Tilman

I am assuming that the people who visit your home are your friends, right? So why don't you just give them the real password? If the password you use is too private (i.e. you use the same password for many other services, as well), then just change your internet access password to something that you feel comfortable sharing with your friends, i.e. to something you only use for that internet connection. It should be easy to change the password in the router settings or somewhere... And if you want to prevent your friends from using your connection later again without you knowing it, just change the password again after they have left :)

Not with without alot of effort and time. Can not think of a easy way off of the top of my head.

I would setup a Radius server, basically you would have to make them a account to use to access your network.

But this is a real pain if you are not use to it. You can also setup it up using Linux, (so besides the time it takes) it can be done free, If you are familiar with Linux.