How can I create a simple personal website for people to find when they search for my name?

sucr griffin April 28, 2012

I want to create a personal website, so that when someone types my name, it goes directly to my website.

1. f0ae6f97b6c219b19b6cd27e6684b9aa

I used to use Microsoft Live, but since it is now $6 or $7 per month, I signed up with 1and1 for domain transfer and used free weebly.com to design my site. You could also use godaddy.com for a domain and any of a number of free web host with design tools. Total outlay: $4.99 for 1and1 domain transfer or new domain. Yearly renewals cost more like $10 or $11

2. Dilip Nikam

I think Creating Blog is the best and free option for you.

You can use Blogger or WordPress for the same. Where you can create various pages n all.

Dilip Nikam
    http://dilipnikam.blogspot.in/

3. Tryg

It really depends on what your name is. If you have a name like mine it's pretty easy. If it's Mike Smith or Jim Jones it's close to impossible. With a really common name, you need to insure that relevant facts about you that folks might couple with your name to find you are included in your page, things like the town you live in, your employer, the high school or college you graduated from and so on. It also helps a lot if you can manage to snag the .com with your name. I've been easily findable online since 1994, but I still registered raytrygstad.com; having the domain name with your name can really help.

4. Joshua Todd Cowper

It depends what type of website you want. If you want a website where you can put loads of stuff, like this website, then I'd suggest using WordPress.com like Kyem. If all you want is a page where you can perhaps link to your Facebook and other social media profiles etc., then http://www.about.me or http://www.flavors.me is great, but if you really want to have a website with loads of stuff, WordPress is very powerful and easy to use. Another option is Weebly. It is easier to use than WordPress, and although quite powerful, WordPress is slightly better. You can set up more than just a blog with WordPress, too, and Weebly also supports blogs.

If you want to look professional and get a good web address (domain name), then they are actually quite cheap. For just AU$9.95/year you can purchase a .com domain from an Australian company known as VentraIP, or you could choose to purchase one directly from WordPress for just US$18/year.

<--- This.

Own domain, point to about.me site

5. Kyem Ghosh

so u wanna be famous wid ur website? You won't be in the searchlist if you you have a blank website. You should have good contents in it such that people make a visit there, like we visit Makeuseof.com. I would suggest you to create a blog with blogger.com or wordpress.com as these are free. If you wanna have website, you need to buy domain in monthly/quaterly/yearly basis and you'll waste loads of money for it.
    You can update your daily life there in blogs and also you can post anything. Makeuseof.com is originally a blog from wordpress. You need to work a bit hard to promote and write articles and you should always have to update your blog or else it will get deleted..... Try your best. Best of luck

• Achraf52

It will never get deleted by those services be sure, it is not a waste of money when you buy a domain name, as you also can make money from it .

• Joshua Todd Cowper

Hardly a waste of money; .coms are ridiculously cheap!

I would strongly advise against getting a Blogger or WordPress.com account. At the very least, get a personalised domain and point it to one of the many free .me services, or Tumblr, or something.