How to create seperate tracks on a long mp3 mixtape for selecting tracks easily?

Richard James April 28, 2012

I have several mp3 mixtapes which are actually long individual mp3 files. I want to be able to navigate to the individual tracks of these mixtapes by simply clicking “previous” or “next.” I understand that I’ll have to create these “separation points” manually. Are there any free programs that can that?

1. Noor

HJSPLIT

2. Arun

Audacity!!!!!

3. Sigurd Hasle

There is a program called Audiobook Cutter: It is used for cutting long audiobook files into several short ones. You can tell the program approximately how long files you want, and it will cut them where it detects a silence. Very practical: When I drop out of my book because I have to concentrate on traffic, I can jump five minutes back instead of 45. I suppose it can be used on music files, too.

It used to be a free program. Now there are two official versions: one that you have to pay for and a free one which does not detect silent periods. You should be able to find the old version 0.7.5, which is free and can detect silent periods.

4. Richard James

Thanks for all the responses.

@Bruce Epper: That's exactly the type of tool I'm looking for. However I can't even manage to get it started, plus, as you pointed out, its output is not supported by most players (if not all).

For now it seems like my option is to simply split the large files into smaller ones. Audacity, MP3 Cut, and MP3 Split can easily do the job.

If someone else has a suggestion similar to ID3v2ChapterTool I would greatly appreciate it.

You can try the chapter tool available here http://id3v2-chap-tool.sourceforge.net/ This will allow you to add the chapter tags to your mp3 files, but I have not yet seen a player that handles them. I have yet to try it with VLC though.

6. Kyem Ghosh

audacity is good one. I think you want to split the mixtape to indivisual separate tracks (files). If you wanna do so. I would also recommend VLC. Click on view/tools > select advanced control. Now see down above your play button, there's a record button. Now you can cut your music track from any where you want. The sound quality remains the same as the original.... I use this for separating small parts from a music track.... The original one remains with no change. And your splitted track gets saved to 'my music' folder

7. strydr

I would recommend using a freeware program called Audacity. It's open source and it's free and will do exactly what you want plus much more. I use it on a regular basis for transferring music from records and cassette tapes to my computer and couldn't live without it.. Here is the link to the download site: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/. Hope this helps you.