How can I create a ‘read-only’ format in Photoshop?

Arsalan July 20, 2010

I just made a really cool gallardo in Photoshop and showed my work to my friends. Now they’re asking me to give them the PSD file. My question is that is there any format that is read-only where they could see the different layers but cannot edit them?

After you have saved the file, right click on it and tick the read-only checkbox and hope then do not know how to untick it

2. Ben Evans

Save as PDF with security. This will block people copying the work.

3. BronxDoll

This may be an obvious answer but you can save the file as a Photoshop .pdf. You won't be able to still see the layers but the file will be read only.

4. Arsalan

thanks for your help people. Saving each layer as jpeg is not acceptable as I have set different blending modes for the layers

5. pceasies

You could save each layer as a JPEG and use flash slideshow software to some them. The only way to copy them would be screenshots.

If you don't want it to be edited, give them the compressed JPEG. They would then only be able to add over your image, not edit the existing layers.

I couldn't find a way to "lock" a psd to be non-editable. However, you could set the file as read-only before handing it over. However, this is a rather simple protection.