How can I create private email identities in Windows Live Mail on Windows 7?
Question by JOHN /

In the old Outlook Express you could create different identities, with each identity having its own address book, settings, passwords etc., so that each identity was private.

How can I make each different email account private in Windows Live Mail on Windows 7?

In other words, I can make it so that Amy gets mail into the Amy folder in the Amy account, and Susan gets mail into the Susan folder of the Susan account – but how do I stop Amy opening the Susan folder and vice versa?

• dhanunjayarao chunduri

i donot think this can be done in windows live mail

• Alex Perkins

Not sure but MS updated outlook for the release of windows 8. Many people just use one account for everything so I think they took it out.

The approach is different for Outlook Express and Windows Live Mail. During the days of Outlook Express, usually one common user account was used by multiple people to work on the same account at Home. Therefore, they created identities, where every user will have her/his identity in outlook express to login and check mail and the notion was usually that users have one mail account though multiple accounts within an identity could be created by with a single merged Inbox. With Windows Live Mail, user approach to computing has gone through a paradigm shift. Now every user in a home computer, if they seldom share a computer, have different user accounts in Windows 7 environment created for them in most cases. So with their own specific login, they get a different user profile to their Windows Live Mail client. So the approach of identities have been done away with. However, today’s users have multiple email accounts and so within a single user profile you can create multiple email accounts which remains totally segregated in their approach and will show as separate entities in the left pane and within these identities you swill find the specific folders of that email id including separate multiple Inbox. I hope I have been able to explain it clearly. :)

You can know the reason why you are not being able to get it done in the latest version –

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-happened-to-e-mail-identities

It puts emphasis on creating separate Windows user accounts.

• Ahmed Khalil