How can I create a multiseat computer using VirtualBox so that two people can use one computer?

Enzo Smith September 24, 2011

I want to multiseat (meaning 2 users on 1 computer, each with their own separate keyboard, mouse and monitor) with VirtualBox. At the moment I have a Windows 7 PC and a spare Windows XP disc at home. Would I be able to assign a keyboard and mouse to an XP VirtualBox?

1. Virty

Mil Mar is correct.  Additionally, running the virtual machines from the command line would allow the user on the actually operating system to only have to deal with one command window (which could be minimized) and the virtual machine(s) would not be viewable except via the remote desktop. 

2. Mil Mar

Last time I played around with Virtual Box, I saw settings in there for remote connection capabilities.

For example, you have the main computer running two separate instances of a virtual OS. Client 1 does a remote desktop connection to your main computer on a specific port number to connect to virtual OS1. Client 2 does the same, and uses a different port number to connect to virtual OS2.

3. Lee

By default, VirtualBox will trap your mouse in the virtual machine. I'm not aware of any methods to allow two input devices to be working simultaneously (that are available to download anyway). Also, two windows can't have focus at the same time.
    I think it would be MUCH easier to just try and get a second computer. Have you considered getting a smaller computer (something like a Mac Mini) that wouldn't take up much space?