How can I create a list of facebook friends by city?

Dr.Sunil Vaswani May 3, 2012

Can such a list be made without manually finding and adding friends from a certain city?

1. Sunil

I tried to manage a smart list but the option to adjust list settings by radius or age range was not found

Can you specify where is the option

• Vibhor Gaur

I already provided you step-by-step guide to use that, but it seems like you still having the problem in that case i am providing you the easiest way...
      providing you with pictures, so you can check where to click....

1st step- is to click on home botton,
      http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3153/ea0d5d9500464929a55207a.png

2nd step-you will find freinds written in the left column, if you move your curser over it you will find a hover text (More) click on that,
      http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/1064/4501deb809d44b4b96d5751.png

3rd step- select a category from friends that you want to edit,
      http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6880/0d08f169c5864e7399425b9.png

4th step- and as soon as you click on that you will be able to find "manage list" button,
      http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3352/357544358b2244d79d5f688.png

as simple as that....
      i hope this finally sorted out your problem , if you still want to ask anything then you can.

• Sunil

But after manage list , where is option of finding and adding friends by radius or city

• Vibhor Gaur

If you have added your city/state/place in your Facebook profile , then it should be there in the manage list zone and if you haven't then i request you to add that now..

After adding that to your profile information ( or you can simple create a new list by your city name eg. Delhi).(you can create list with any city/state/place name you want..)

when you are done with the above stated things, do these 3 simple steps..

1st-- Select that city/state/place named list which you have just created.
          eg. http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9774/d9d1411ed6424e45ab30e82.png

2nd--you will see written "Friends who live within 10 miles of "your city/state/place name" (it is written just below the list name which you have just opened..
          eg. http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7842/468384d536eb48a1be8a1a7.png

3rd-- As soon as you click on that "10 miles" a pop up window will open " Edit List Setting" by that you can increase/decrease the miles....
          eg. http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/892/372ed4b875384f0a8f23b06.png

I don't think there will be any question left after these fairly simple steps and pics....
          but in case you still want to ask any thing then i am here...

Good day.

• Francisco

I'm sorry, but I'm facing exactly the same problem. It seems I cannot create new smart lists, only tinker with the ONE available location-based smart list. Is this understanding correct?

• JimmyJoe

I'm also facing the same problem. I have my city/state listed in my profile but don't see what is being suggested. After clicking MANAGE LIST, you do have the option of adding friends to that list, but only by selecting them individually. There is no option for sorting or filtering them by location/gender, or anything else. Therefore, step 1-3 above does not show.

I plan to travel to Florida in a few weeks and would just like to see which of my 400 friends are in that area. Seems simple by Vibhor's explanation but there is a breakdown somewhere.

• JimmyJoe

I just figured it out...
          If you get to the list of all your friends, you can click the drop down button next to the SEARCH field. There you will see various ways you can filter.

2. Sunil

I would check and ask again if any technical assistance is required

Is there also option of sorting list by gender

• Vibhor Gaur

yes my friend you can select gender type.

• Sunil

I have allready put city in profile

But in Manage List there are two options - Edit List , and Choose Update types, and in neither there is option of choose friends by city, or country and also not gender

• Vibhor Gaur

can't you create new list?

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani

Even on creating a new list , there is no option of filtering friends by location or age in the Manage List dropdown menu

• Vibhor Gaur

Don't say that there is no option...
          say that you are not able to find it....

i have provided you the screenshot as well, complete step by step guide to answer your question.
          And you can check that MUO selected this me as 2nd runner up, and the answer is resolved...
          therefore i am not going to repeat the same answer again and again......if you have any other answer then you can ask, otherwise read my answer twice or thrice and do exactly what i said as you are doing mistake somewhere...
          Good Day

• Sunil

Even though the screenshots show the options the features may not be available for other users for some reason which is why discussions are for

If you don't intend to kindly justify counter-discussions then you may discontinue answering my questions

From now on I would not counter-discuss with you any further in this discussion-thread

• Vibhor Gaur

Hell...who said you that there are different option for different people/county on facebook......
          LMAO.....
          I have provided more then 4-5 ways for you to do the same thing........you know the same thing...
          but what you are doing is arguing uselessly....and forcing me to type such message...
          I am ideas provider/strategy maker for several websites.....but people like you irritate me who just ask the same thing again and again...don't listen and don't want to gain anything....
          Do 1 thing, deactivate your fb account and if you dont know how to do it then http://romcartridge.blogspot.in/2010/04/how-to-deactivate-your-account-on.html

follow the link...

I started to help you and you are commenting me, you wasted my lot of time, and because of you i will never return to make use of website....

Good bye...

P.S- "don't just read this post and make your decision about me, i am polite but cannot sit nonreactive on such comments"...

Vibhor,

Thank you very much for offering your support and even providing screenshots for your clear step-by-step instructions. That is extremely kind and thorough and very much appreciated!

3. Vibhor Gaur

Hello Dr. Sunil
    how are you doing?

well to answer your question:-
    You can do this with the help of 'Smart List' .
    In case you don't know what is smart list i can tell you in brief,
    smart list (as the name suggests , they are smart) they automatically update on the basis of common information/interests ..
    example- you both work in same company, school, or lives insame town/city .
    as you want the list of same city, and by your name i suppose you live in India, and let for a second that you lives in Delhi, so will get the list all peoples who live in Xkm distance from your location ( i used X because that distance you can set on your own).
    even when this smart list update itself automatically, still you can add/remove people from it manually.

Hope this helps.

Have a good day ahead

• Sunil

Thanks for your friendly response!

Hope you are fine!

I understand and also allready using smart lists which were automatically created on activation (Close Friends,College)
      But there are no smart lists seen of city , gender. How to access them?

• Vibhor Gaur

It is fairly simple my friend,
        You will be able to do this in 5 simple steps.

1st--Click Home > Friends (in the left column) > More

2nd--Click on the name of the list you want to edit

3rd--Click Manage List (in the top-right corner)

4th--Look for an option to adjust the list settings/manage list (ex: Pick Age Range or Edit Radius)

5th--Pick your own list restrictions (ex. friend lives in 20km from south Delhi)

and now....yes you know, click Save.

and you are done :-)

4. Abdul Basit Suhail

u can create custom lists if u know their city

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani

I appreciate your inclination to reply

But question is not manually finding and adding by city