How can I create an improved WordPress pages widget?

Anthony October 18, 2011

I read your post about making a WordPress widget How To Create Your Own Basic Wordpress Widgets How To Create Your Own Basic Wordpress Widgets Many bloggers will search for the perfect Wordpress widget that will do exactly what they want, but with a little programming experience you may find it's easier to write your custom widget. This week I'd... Read More . I was wondering how difficult it would be to make an improved WordPress pages widget that allowed you to select whether you wanted to include or exclude pages by dropdown or checkbox etc. Currently you can only exclude pages.
Thanks!

Anthony,

did you improve your WordPress widget? How did you do it and do you have any more advice for someone who may stumble over this question? Please keep us updated. Thank you!

Hi Anthony, I better answer this since that was my article. To do accomplish what you've described, a custom menu would be a better option. First drag out a custom menu widget that comes built-in to wordpress; name it; then head over to the Menus option on the sidebar. From there you can create a new menu, and assign that to your sidebar. Your custom menu can include or exclude whatever pages you like, as well as any random links you put in there. It's quite powerful. No need to write a whole plugin.