How can I create formulas to process input data to results in Excel?

nk jamadar August 13, 2011

I have an Excel sheet which contains input data and results. I want to make results come automatically. How can I do that?

1. RayLNelson

I think he's referring to the Auto Calculate switch I used to have in an older version of Excel when I worked for a financial company on large models.   I don't know if it is in the current software, but I remember being able to turn off recalculation, which was very helpful when changing Huge Spreadsheets where recalc could take in my case an hour.

Well, since you have posted a generic question, here's a generic answer.

Write a formula that takes your input data and manipulates it to produce the appropriate result.

You really need to be more specific with what you are attempting to do.  For example, if you have numeric values in columns A and B and you want the results of dividing A by B in column C, you would enter A1/B1 in C1 and then copy that formula to the remaining cells in column C (it will automatically adjust the row numbers for you).