How can I create a Facebook page with a 3 letter username?

Jessie December 3, 2010

I’m creating a Facebook page for a client. Their name is a 3 letter name and obviously they want their shortname to be that.

How come I can’t create a username using 3 letters only when I see other pages like www.facebook.com/bmw?

1. Dayaram Khanal Joshi

Hey Jessie,
    You actually can create 3 letter facebook pages. But at least first of the three letters should be capital (uppercase). Like for example, there are many pages named 'BMW' but non with the first letter being lowercase.
    And there is nothing unavailable, you can create as many pages with the same name as you want.
    I hope this helps.

2. Mark O'Neill

Is Facebook actually telling you that three letter names are banned? If not, it may just come down to simple availability. Three letter names are highly valued and coveted from a SEO perspective because they are so easily memorable.

If Facebook says it is banned, but you then see a page for BMW, my cynical side would conclude from that that they paid a huge amount of money to Facebook to allow them to bend the rules.