How can I create an easy to understand flowchart of how Twitter works?

cecily bailey October 22, 2011

I am trying to do a flowchart or something to show my boss how Twitter interaction is not totally open to public, i.e. hecklers. Replies only seen by senders followers etc. Not sure what to do. Twitter help not simple enough for high level executive.

1. Toorabish

hii plz help me my teets are not visible for others it only visible on my account.i send tweet to follower but when i see my tweet is invisible for others..?????

I think if the person is your follower, he will receive and see the tweet that you sent him.
      But it will not be visible to public.

if you want to make it visible to others also
      make sure you have not locked your tweets,

https://twitter.com/settings/account
      second last option:
      uncheck Protect my Tweets
      and click save.

I suggest to read up on the Type of Tweets.

If you start your tweet with "(at)username" it is treated as a "(at)reply" and by default only shows up in your profiles timeline (twitter.com/yourname) and for the recipient.
      Regular follows will not get the tweet into their timeline.

Twitter is a pretty open platform in terms of information. So I do understand the concern of your boss.

The only thing not visible to the public are Direct messages
    Basically the addressee has to follow the sender of the message and it is only seen by those two parties.

Visibility of tweets, replies and mentions depend on your security settings. If your profile is public they are visible to everyone. If your profile is private they are seen by all accepted followers.

• Yoga

notice even responses vary...most people tell me as above Tweets are protected.Only confirmed followers have access to Tweets
      and complete profile.You need to send a request before you can start
      following this account"  so then it's not seen by the whole world . a reply from someone i seen only by the sender, the senders followers and the recipient, yes?

I'm not sure I got the question here... security settings are on a per user base

If your account is set to private ("Protect my Tweets") all your tweets, replies and mentions are only seen by your followers.

If someone replies to you or mentions your name and has not set to protect the tweets those responses can be seen by everyone regardless of your security setting.

As I said you need privacy at both ends, Sender and receiver.
        If both have locked tweets, then only the whole conversation will be hidden.
        else it will be visible from the side without locked tweets.

Suppose you have privacy settings/locked tweets, and I don't.

If I tweet to reply your private tweet, then my reply mentioning you ( at-Your-username) will be visible to everyone,

But your private tweet to which I replied will not be visible, as you have locked tweets.

If I also lock my tweet, then only my reply to you will be hidden.

social media flowchart
    http://www.bydatabedriven.com/social-media-flow-chart-blog-vs-facebook-vs-twitter/

Flowchart of how Twitter oauth authorization/signin works
    http://rahulb.posterous.com/flowchart-of-how-twitter-oauth-authorizations-0

http://www.twitpic.com/50wz10

well just look on how the percentage of  hecklers and others are and then compare with percentage of real tweeters. Add profiles, message type...

Your boss is not totally wrong, if you don't have privacy settings, tweets are not locked, anyone can visit your account and see your tweets.

If you have locked your tweets, but your friend who is replying you has not locked his tweets, then any one can see what he tweeted mentioning you.
    only if he also has privacy settings, then nobody can see it.

No need of flow charts etc..give him a live demo.

All you have to do is
    apply privacy settings on your account and on the account of your friend whom you are communicating via tweets.
    http://twitter.com/settings/account

second last option.

now you both have locked your tweets .

create a new account.(or login to any account which can't see either of the profiles tweets because not in the followers list.)
    sign in to new account.
    try to visit your account and see your tweets and replies etc.
    it will show

Tweets are protected.Only
    confirmed followers have access to Tweets and complete profile. You
    need to send a reque"st before you can start following this account"

you can also copy the urls of tweets and try to see, still it will not be visible.

and that's what you want to see him, that he cant see.
    so he will see, that he can't see, you see ? :)