How do I create custom labels in my Gmail account?
Question by ceepee em /

• TwooshVidisha

Create multiple Gmail Ids for different purposes for a single Gmail account and do much more fun with Gmail. Here are the five cool and unique ideas to use Gmail like never before. http://www.mizwhiz.com/women-and-internet/e-mail/forget-e-mailing-use-these-cool-never-before-features-of-your-gmail-account.html

• Kevin Fegan

I noticed that all the answers given were about accessing Gmail from the normal Gmail full “Desktop/Laptop” browser page. It appears to me that the original question was about using Gmail on an Android device (I assume from an Android Phone)…

Using your android phone (I have HTC Incredible), you can open labels to view messages already assigned to that label, and you can assign existing labels to messages.

Using the Gmail-App, click the phones “Menu” button, then click on “Go to labels”, then click on the label you want to open. To assign a label to a message: While viewing the list of messages from the inbox or from any label, click the checkbox to select the the desired message(s)… you should then see 3 buttons at the bottom of the screen: “Archive”, “Delete”, and “Labels”. Click the “Labels” button, then check/uncheck the desired labels and click “OK”.

From the Android-Browser, goto http://m.gogle.com/mail and click the “web version” link. This should open a link like: https://mail.google.com/mail/mu/mp/… Click the “Labels” icon in the upper left (Icon has 3 horizontal broken lines). Then click on the label you want to open. To assign a label to a message: While viewing the list of messages from the inbox or from any label, click the checkbox to select the the desired message(s)… you should see a little menu appear in the upper right corner. In that menu you will see 3 buttons: “Archive”, “Trash-can-icon”, and a “Double-down-arrow”. Click the “Double-down-arrow” then click the “Label…” button, then check/uncheck the desired labels and click “Apply”.

In either case, from the Android Gmail-App, or from the Gmail page in the Android Browser, you cannot rename labels or create new labels. You will need to visit the Gmail full “Desktop/Laptop” browser page to rename or create new labels. Depending on your Android phone and the browser you are using on your phone, you may be able to open the Gmail full “Desktop/Laptop” browser page to rename or create new labels. In my case, on my phone, I am always re-directed to the “Mobile” site for Gmail, so I can’t rename or create new labels from my phone.

• Rezy143

There are several ways:
    1. Put a check where you want to label the email, then look on top where it has a price tag symbol. Click on it and you get a drop down list. Look for create new or type in the new label into the search box and click create new.
    2. Go to the sidebar on the left and scroll all the way down until you see Create new label,
    3. Go to your settings on the top right corner of the page. Click on it and you would a drop down menu. Now click settings, then labels on the second tab next to general. Go to where it says labels and then underneath should have a button Create new label.
    4. You could also go here: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=118708

• ashar_gi

On the left hand side, where you see Inbox, Trash etc. You will find a commmand “Create new label” & “Manage labels”. Both should help you create labels.

By the way, you can also colour your labels and automatically send messages to a specific labels and skip inbox to manage your messages.

• Âdil Farôôq

To create new labels click the Labels drop-down menu with the message or messages you want to label checked or open select create new type the desired label name and click OK.

• Anjan Bilal

Create Labels As and When You Need Them in Gmail

To create new labels in Gmail just as you need them:

Click the Labels drop-down menu with the message or messages you want to label checked or open.
    Select Create new.
    Type the desired label name under Please enter a new label name:.
    Click OK.

• Suman Acharya

open gmail account
    on the left side just below ‘Contacts’
    there is ‘Labels’
    and also an option ‘edit labels’
    click it ….after a moment you will be able to create labels and rename labels as well.