How can I create a bootable USB for Windows 7 64-bit installation?

farhad June 24, 2010

For creating a bootable USB we must format the file system to FAT.

But there is a file with the name “install.wim” in “sources” folder of Windows 7 x64 CD that is 2.88GB and FAT can not support this file because of its size.

In Windows 7 x86 CD the size of this file was smaller.

Now, how can I create a bootable USB in NTFS format?

My current OS is Windows 7 32-bit.

1. Stivinn Aura

Win2Flash ( ) is a nice free utility that lets you create bootable Windows installation flash drives.

2. Utnapistin

If you have USB HDD rack, connect regular 5.25" DVD Drive to its connectors. If you have ATA USB rack you must use ATA DVD drive (set its jumper to "master") and if you have SATA USB rack you must use (imagine that!) SATA DVD drive. I know DVD drive wont fit into USB rack, but it doesn't have to, as long as its connected to it (both power connector and ATA/SATA connector)... Power up your rack, connect it to Netbook's USB, It should recognize it as USB DVD/CDROM. Now just put WinXP/Vista/Win7 disk and install it...
      I tried all other suggestions here, but for me only this method worked, so there's another option if anyone has problems with installing windows...

If you're working on a Windows 7 system, then you don't need any special tools to get this done. Just insert your USB drive and format it. Then, insert the Windows 7 DVD, or mount the image to a virtual drive. Then go to the command prompt (Start > Run > cmd.exe) and run the following command:

xcopy x:*.* /f /e /s y:

where x: is the drive letter of your optical/virtual drive
    and y: is the drive letter of USB drive.

Hey Farhad,

So did you manage to create it? Did the above link helped? Let us know.

5. pceasies

That guide shows you how to do it step-by-step and you will end up formatting it in NTFS from the diskpart command line tool.