How can I create an ad-hoc connection using my Wi-Fi enabled cellphone?

Homz Napoles July 4, 2012

I have a cellphone which is WiFi ready. I would like to use my cellphone’s WiFi as a tool to enable other cellphones to connect to my cellphone without the use of Bluetooth.

I have read an article that you can create an ad-hoc, but I don’t know how to create an ad-hoc connection with my cellphone. Can you please help me with my problem?

Can I really use my cellphone to let other phones connect me thru WiFi (just a peer-to-peer but not limited to 1)?

1. arjun

adhoc network is that are the wifi enabled connection, so further in the network connection should be using is very easly ....

2. Irshaad Abdool

i suggest you to use joikuspot.
    it will turn you 3G/WAP/GPRS connection into Wifi. Data charges will apply

• Homz Napoles

thanks for your reply guys. i already found another topic. its about a serval project.

3. Irshaad Abdool

i suggest you to use Joikuspot available at http://www.joiku.com

its premium version allows you to secure your newly created network too.

point to be noted is that joikuspot will convert your 3G/GPRS/WAP connection into wifi, so do not forget to recharge your account as data charges can be large if the other devices are consuming large amount of data

4. Homz Napoles

It's a local product here in the Philippines, a myPhone T23WiFi

• Dalsan

I think your phone has Symbian OS on it and you might be able to use Joikuspot wifi tethering app. Not sure if it is Symbian, and definitely don't know the version, so not sure which version of Joiku you need.

5. Homz Napoles

well my phone doesn't have a familiar platform but it is capable of being a modem. so i'm a bit curious if this phone can possibly host itself.

6. DalSan Mack

http://thednetworks.com/2012/02/19/android-ad-hoc-wi-fi-mesh-network-to-prepare-for-the-end-of-the-world/

This is the wifi ad-hoc mesh network app that sounds interesting and should allow multiple phones to connect with each other as you wanted. I'm not sure exactly you were wanting to do, and came across this. It is possible that there are apps within the market that allows ad-hoc networking, but would require your phone to be rooted.

7. jessemanalansan

I don't think all phones supports creating/sharing internet connection on it's data connection.

• Dalsan

No, not all phones support it, that's why we need to know the phone model, operating system and number, and if it would use the phone's data plan or not. The data plan info is not that important, but may help with the setup as most times tethering is used for broadcasting internet to other devices using the data plan.

8. Dalsan

I agree as your phone would need an app called Wifi Tether, as what you are talking about is tethering. ad-hoc would let you have better options between two devices, but if you wasn't up to five devices, tethering is your option. Now, the questions we need answered are: which phone and operating system, and if you would use your phone's data to connect the devices to the internet or not.

I tether my phone to my laptops whenever the home internet is down. I use Android operating system that is rooted, but it also has a built in wifi tether app. I do not try use it often for fear of being caught using too much bandwidth from using tethering, and charge more to use the tethering option.

• Dalsan

*want, not wasn't.

Usually an ad-hoc connection is only between 2 nodes. There are only a handful of implementations which allow multiple nodes within an ad-hoc network.

If you want to connect more than one cellphone you will need to setup a personal hotspot on the primary device.

If that is possible and how to do it depends on the operating system and/or available features and apps for your phone.

10. Susendeep Dutta

What is your phone's OS?