How do I crack an AES encrypted .docx file with a password of around 16 digits?

Yashodhan Bhatt October 5, 2012

Some time ago I was experimenting with how to encrypt a Word file using the toughest possible password. I did manage to encrypt one too but the problem is that I forgot the password and it was surely 15-16 digits long. I know it has been encrypted using AES and I have tried almost everything within the domains of my tech knowledge but wasn’t able to crack it.

Can anyone help me in doing that?

1. Philbert Desenex

unless you know someone at the NSA that owes you a big favor, you can just delete that file, cause you aren't going to crack it.

2. Brian Mok

I was thinking about somehow brute forcing it, but as with that, it would take a very long, long time. :(

3. Mulder

Here's your problem: Assuming a 16-character password, made up of upper- and lower case characters, digits 0-9, and special characters, you have this many possibilities:

2.0922789888e+13

In other words, you're screwed. Time to give up on cracking strong passwords; it will take you thousands of years to do that, and whatever information is in that Word file, it's not that valuable.

4. Jaydeep Chavda
    • Yashodhan Bhatt

I need to decrypt an already encrypted file friend..that would not help...

• Jaydeep Chavda

Decrypt option is also there ....

5. Harish Jonnalagadda

Yeah what kind of password did you set? If it is usually difficult to crack passwords that have different combinations, cases, or ones that have numbers.

• Yashodhan Bhatt

It was a combination of upper cases,lower cases as well as special characters..

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Next to no chance of finding the correct combination using any software that exist in the market.

6. Adrian Rea

It is a valuable lesson learnt but when experimenting with passwords, if you needed the doc that bad perhaps you should have printed it first at least!
    Security and backup are essential but we are humans who are not used to regimented thinking. If you do crack it I will be surprised, also I hope it is yours to crack! :)
    Good luck, and I hope you think before you pick a new password. I cannot point the finger, I have done the same myself in the past. Not now though :D

7. Vignesh C

open the file with notepad

• Yashodhan Bhatt

What a lame reply man..

8. Amit Sinha

Try the password recovery programs but if it is strong password combination of of all types of characters then it is better to forgot your word file.