Why did my CPU and RAM usage suddenly skyrocket along with network being slow?

Tharindu October 7, 2010

My laptop is Acer Extanza and recently it uses a lot of CPU and RAM. Task manager dislays ‘System Idle Process’ and ‘svchost.exe’ ashaving the most usages . And also laptop gives more sound when it is on and fan generates more heat.

I’m using ADSL line and it is also gets slow. I’m using Firefox as my web browser. I recently I installed some Firefox addons. I clean the laptop using anti spyware software and it is also useless. I’m using Windows 7.

What is the problem here and give me a solution please.

1. Ryan

Most likely spyware/malware/viruses have taken over your computer. The network is slow because its using your computer to spread more spyware/malware/viruses.

I would suggest using these programs to try and get rid of the infection.
    (You can download most of them from http://www.filehippo.com, my choice for downloads.)

CCleaner- its like disc clean up but removes more junk which helps lesson scan times

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware- Gets rid of some of the worst malware and spyware

SUPERAntispyware- Another great spyware remover, gets rid of nasty stuff and works great in tandum with Mawarebytes anti-malware.

AVG Anti-virus- Install this if you have no anti-virus installed or yours is expired (make sure you remove any other anti-virus before installing this one)

If these programs fail to install its because the spyware/malware/viruses are preventing them from installing. Rename the installation executable to "explorer.exe" which will usually trick the spyware/malware/viruses and allow them to run.

Also, if they are installed but are not running, rename the file once again to something else, it can be explorer.exe again, but just remember to rename that executable that is located in the folder where the program is actually installed, not just to the shortcut on your desktop.

Update all the software. Run CCleaner first to get rid of any unessasry files, and then run full scans of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-spyware and delete anything it finds.

If this doesn't help you might need to run the programs in safemode by restarting the computer and hitting the F8 key until a black screen with white text shows. Select safemode and hit enter. Run each scan again in safemode.

If this still doesn't work Google "combofix", install and run it.

If this doesn't seem to find any spyware/malware/viruses then it might just be an overheating problem. You can usually tell if the fans seem to kick in very often and run loud. Then you have to open up the laptop and get rid of any dust that would be blocking the air flow.

If all else fails a re-installation of Windows is your best bet of ridding any spyware/malware/viruses or operating system problems the spyware/malware/viruses have caused.

Hi
    Try to repair the pc, for instance using a restore point. Or boot from your cd and use the upgrade function, you must have a valid serial to activate the copy.

uninstal java and reboot then instal again?

download Process Explorer v12.04
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
    find out which hidden process is doing this

or if you wish Security Task Manager
    http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/
    Security Task Manager shows comprehensible information about programs and processes running on the computer. For each Windows process, it improves on Windows Task Manager, providing:

---unique security risk rating
    The security risk rating indicates the likelihood of a process being potential spyware, malware or a Trojan. The rating is purely based on behaviour and code analysis, and does not use any signature files.
    ---comments from our experts and user community
    ---free online scan with all known Antivirus engines
    ---full directory path and file name

3. Steve Campbell

There could be a number of things happening here. Most commonly, you probably do have some kind of spyware or virus that is causing your memory usage to spike. Head over to download.com and run some scans using the top free apps they have listed there.

The other thing that comes to mind is hardware failure. Something may be causing your CPU to be overworked, which in turn makes it hotter and therefore slower. If you can't find any spyware on your system, I would take it somewhere and get it looked at before you experience a bigger problem.