Why does my CPU fan make so much noise during boot up?

susendeep dutta February 19, 2011

I have an Intel Pentium D 820 Dual Core 2.8 GHz and using it’s stock cooler.

Whenever I boot my PC, there comes such a violent noise from the fan that it seems to be going to break into pieces. I have manually cleaned the CPU fan for two times in two weeks, but still the same issue. The stock cooler seems to be tight with the motherboard. The HDD temperature goes up to 49 degrees within half hour.

Please help me troubleshoot this problem.

1. Les Salmon

Hello,
    I tried almost everything to cure the same problem on my computer, all to no avail. As a last resort, I undid the silver label on the centre of the fan and put a drop of  three in one oil the shaft. I left is like this for a couple of hours to soak into the bearing. My computer is now as quiet as when I first bought it! Ok, I realise that there are some who might argue that 3 in 1 isn't the correct oil, but heh, it worked for me, when everything else failed!

Thanks for sharing your solution! I'm curious to see whether that works for anyone else.

2. Greenpasttures

Nothing makes your processor slow or makes your fan makes a hell of noise but the amount of space you've used which puts yours HDD in a heavy state.

3. Marco Ume

My chipsetp is p965 with an initial Core 2 Duo e6700 with a 8600 Nvidia graphics card and a 32 bit Vista Ultimate system and 1 TB of HDD with a 450 w PSU. Right now I upgraded the CPU (Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700), added more RAM 8 GB (DDR2, PC2-6400), changed the video card (Nvidia GT 430), replaced the 1TB of HDD with 2 256GB SSD on a RAID 0 configuration and finally upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Right now the only thing strange is the CPU fan attached to the heatsink that happens to make too much noise. Sometimes when running CPU consumming programs. Should I try changing the CPU fan.

• Susendeep Dutta

Yes sure because Intel's stock fans are not much capable of cooling your processor.Intel's stock coolers are getting very bad name as many people complain about its noise and inefficient cooling.

You must change your CPU fan to an aftermaket cooling fan.Some of the great brands are Antec,Cosair,Cooler-Master etc.You must also apply Artic silver 5 paste on your CPU as this in combination with one of the above mention CPU coolers will decrease the temperature of the processor by 30 degrees.

4. Steve16

as i am here now my pc is rattling away fan doing a spot of orvertime goes mad when playing games i have a graphics card saphire readon 300x

• Susendeep Dutta

Well,I think that your GPU is not getting enough power and might be dusty.When such things happen then you must check for your power supply and clean all your components.

I replied late as I thought that before I answered,MUO authors would had answered you soon.

5. Donnasander

Sometimes as computers get older, people add things to them...RAM, more drives, etc. The graphics card draws a lot of current during bootup. If you have upgraded your machine, but didn't put any thought into upgrading the power supply, you may be running low on power. A very noisy graphics card is a sign it doesn't have enough juice. When it gets enough power, the noise goes away. Check the outlets that your main power is plugged into. If your computer is plugged into a surge supressor, which has a bunch of other stuff loaded into it, your main circuit may not have enough wattage. If it only does it during boot, it shouldn't really be a huge problem, but if the noise stays after the machine is booted, then you need to look into it further.

6. Imalonesaad

it is normal so dont have to worry!

Does this only happen when you boot your PC, like at the very start? Or does it occur all the time, constantly. Many PCs will run the CPU fans at full speed during initial boot up as a kind of diagnostic. I wonder if you're just noticing this?

• Susendeep dutta

The sound is louder during bootup and then it becomes little silent and remains the same all time which is a concern as this nothing used to be happen before 4 years.

Hi

First, clean the fan blades off real well. If you have a heatsink with the fan then clean the heatsink off as well. You can even use a bit of your oil and some q-tips for cleaning if needed. Then, take the small circle, it usually has a name on it, but its in the middle of the fan. Peel one edge up carefully and put a very small amount of oil in where you lifted the label up. Now add some graphite powder in the same place where you put the oil, add as much or a bit more of the graphite powder than the oil. Clean off excess oil and graphite and push the label back where it was. You may need a very small amount of duct tape to hold the label in position and to prevent leakage. This is important if the fan is going to "sit up" as opposed to lying flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUulu3eXTU

you can reduce the noise perhaps with SpeedFan 4.42 by changing fan speed
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

• Susendeep dutta

Thank you for the feedback.I had done cleaning the fan.But such kinds of spray is not available in our country.

Hello, the stock cooler for 775 socket motherboards can be taken from the cpu. If you look closely there are two levers on two opposite sides. Push the lever down and it should pop up. Do the same for the other one and the stock cooler should come off. Make sure that you buy good quality thermal paste like artic silver, and after cleaning/wiping the old thermal paste with alcohol apply a drop on the processor. See if you can get a new cooler and install it back.

Get a can of compressed air and make sure to clean the stock cooler and you take it off and also make sure you clean the fan for your power supply. When you are cleaning the fan of your stock cooler, make sure you insert something in between the blades to prevent them from moving. If you use compressed air without preventing the fans from moving you damage the bearings and then the fan is useless.

Also, make sure you get an extra fan and install it in a pull configuration so that it expels the hot air outside your case. Usually this fans, are connected to the motherboard. If you check your motherboard there should be two extra three pin connectors for extra fans. The main idea is to get the inside of you case as cool as possible but doing so without affecting the air flow inside your case. Hope it helps,

Your Hard Disk temperature suggests that there is only little airflow going through the entire case. Do you have any FAN blowing air out of the case besides of the CPU fan?
    Keep in mind that most Hard Disks have an operating temperature of 0-60°C and you are close it with only 30 minutes of runtime.

I agree with Tina ~ you should definitely make sure that the CPU cooler and FAN is mounted correctly and there some sort of thermal compound in between. Be careful when applying it yourself - using too much will isolate and trap the heat on the CPU.

On a second note, a noisy FAN might indicate that it has reached it's end (damaged bearing or whatever).

Susendeep,

for how long has this been going on?
    Did your computer also become slow when you started noticing the noise from the CPU fan?

To me it sounds like something is loose and not properly installed. Could be a single screw that doesn't sit tight. The fan creates a lot of force on the motherboard and thus the entire computer case when the computer boots up. Make sure everything is tight and eventually use grease (silicone) for screws that are hard to tighten.

• Susendeep dutta

This has been going on for two weeks.
      Yes, my computer also become slow after boot up.

• Rahul Berwal

ya me too :(
      help me