Why does my CPU fan get so loud when I steam a video?

March 18, 2014

The computer crashed a few months ago and the PSU was replaced. The original PSU had 24 pins this one has 20 and i’ve noticed that since the PSU was changed the CPU fan is very loud when I stream a video or play a video game…. Is the PSU the problem or if not, what are the possible causes for this problem?

There could be a power difference between the old PSU and the new one, but it isn't likely the cause. Check to make sure that the fans, cables, etc. are not loose, the motherboard and PSU are not loose or wobbly, and all dust and debris are cleaned out of the computer case, motherboard, CPU heatsink and fan, and all vents. If the sounds get progressively worse over time, I would consider replacing the fan, and possibly reapply thermal paste to the processor.

disable aero effect and see if this can help

monitor for a while with CoreTemp
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Windows-Widgets/Widget-Miscellaneous/Core-Temp.shtml

3. Jeff F

This is not a problem (as long as your CPU fan is dust-free) this is a totally normal reaction to a heavy workload. Your CPU fan is preparing itself for a heavy workload. The more computations the CPU has to perform, the hotter it will get. So your CPU is saying "Woah! That's a lot of work, let me just set the fans to overdrive so I don't get too hot in here! Sorry for all the noise!". I can see how this could be annoying for you, so you could purchase a quieter fan with a lower decibel level. Anything under 25 dcb's is typically considered 'quiet'.

It may be advantages to offload some of the graphic's processing onto a dedicated graphics card.